Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You did a great jon on that BH>..:thumbup: Was that column a PITA to assemble.... did you use harness straps???

You know what I am thinking of Rizz....staring at that column.:shifty:... I wonder if it's possible..... what do you think..... ?

B
Actually, the pieces for the column were rips left over from the columns I made for the house at the top of this page.:shifty: They were ripped a hair over 45 degrees on one side and square on the other. Some PVC cement and some 23 guage pins to hold things together, built 2 half columns, cemented and pinned them together and that's it. I still have a couple dozen of those rips, but they're only about 80" long.

Why, what's your idea?:blink:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
well,

I was thinking that maybe I could turn some columns out of Azak... I really like that material ... but you said you pined them... that would be out of the question....

Do you think IYPO that they could be chemically welded using PVC cement and then wrapped with ratchet strapping to assure good adhesion at the seam joints...

... I was thinking about it.. just worried it would explode , the cutting is not what worries me.. it's the flexibility of that material.. but with that octagon construction...I would think it would stiffen it up pretty well....

what's your thoughts for turning columns out of staved Azak...

Thanks Rizz ,
B.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I was thinking that maybe I could turn some columns out of Azak... I really like that material ... but you said you pined them... that would be out of the question....

Do you think IYPO that they could be chemically welded using PVC cement and then wrapped with ratchet strapping to assure good adhesion at the seam joints...

... I was thinking about it.. just worried it would explode , the cutting is not what worries me.. it's the flexibility of that material.. but with that octagon construction...I would think it would stiffen it up pretty well....

what's your thoughts for turning columns out of staved Azak...

Thanks Rizz ,
B.
I think it's very possible.I pinned it as a timesaver, but in proper conditions, such as a workshop:whistling, welding it solely with PVC cement would do the trick. I'd probably rig it with a router rather than using turning tools though. I think you could end up with Azek "bamboo chutes" under your nails at best.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Very nice work, Lone For some reason I don't remember seeing this thread before! I could just see cutting those little dormer roof pieces for the bird house and them flying like bullets after a tooth on the blade caught it :laughing:

Dave

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
well...

Rizz...
I have some Azak in my lower storage.. 3/4" .. I am going to try it on a small level first.... see what happens... as far as the router. You would think so but that is not the case.. it does not do a smooth job as being used as a "cutter" for rounding out a structure... My cutting bits for the carriage and hand held are so sharp .. you just apply a little pressure and blood,, they do a fantastic job.. I keep them ultra sharp.... But I will use the router for the flutes...:thumbsup:

But I was worried about the joints.. I'll throw it up here if it works.. if you don't hear from me for a while... you know it backfired....:laughing::laughing::jester:

Thanks Rizz.
B,

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Rizz...
I have some Azak in my lower storage.. 3/4" .. I am going to try it on a small level first.... see what happens... as far as the router. You would think so but that is not the case.. it does not do a smooth job as being used as a "cutter" for rounding out a structure... My cutting bits for the carriage and hand held are so sharp .. you just apply a little pressure and blood,, they do a fantastic job.. I keep them ultra sharp.... But I will use the router for the flutes...:thumbsup:

But I was worried about the joints.. I'll throw it up here if it works.. if you don't hear from me for a while... you know it backfired....:laughing::laughing::jester:

Thanks Rizz.
B,
Only advice I have is, let the PVC cement cure for a day or two minimum. The Azek will get like marshmallow near the joints from the solvents.

Don't forget your safety glasses either.:thumbsup:

Reactions: PrestigeR&D

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
now my only question is..... wheres the strapping?:whistling

Reactions: PrestigeR&D

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Very nice work, Lone For some reason I don't remember seeing this thread before! I could just see cutting those little dormer roof pieces for the bird house and them flying like bullets after a tooth on the blade caught it :laughing:

Dave
:whistlingYeah, I lost one or three.:laughing: You have to employ the "chop and stop" method before raising the blade.:thumbup:

I have lots of discreet threads floating around this place.:shifty:

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
ahhh..

again.... another spelling error... you guys catch them like white on rice...... your starting to give me a complex........:laughing::jester:

yes... lets try that again....
STRAPING.....not. Strapping :rolleyes:

You guys are brutal I tell ya.... brutal....:laughing:
B.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Nice job Lone! What happens when birds actually move in and go poopy on your masterpiece? BBgun?
It's actually a side by side duplex and the lid is screwed to the firewall.:laughing:

4- 1 1/4" stainless screws hold it to the post. I'm thinking drop it, pop it and powerwash it after they move out. It might actually look nice with purple berry stains on it.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
now thats just sick...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts