Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
here's a jig i made for making the slots in the stiles for some vents i needed to replace on an old church steeple

i made 2 mirror images of each other,angle is 45 deg
Hey Tom, ain't it great that the Azek scraps are always handy to make a quick jig? Last forever too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
its a curse :furious: i got so many cutoffs, its unbelievable, i cant throw the stuff away but im always searching thru my pvc bin:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ingenuity :thumbup:

however.... is that a ryobi i see mr lone? :whistling
It is a Riobi, but it's not mine. I will say that it's been put through some heavy use and I'm impressed with its durability. I laughed when the HO brought this to the job for us to slot all the cedar soffit, but it completed the job and then some. Go figure.....:whistling

Attachments

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finished this one just in time for the big storm. Nothing left but paint until the pad is poured so we can make the columns.

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Some of the details.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
It is a Riobi, but it's not mine. I will say that it's been put through some heavy use and I'm impressed with its durability. I laughed when the HO brought this to the job for us to slot all the cedar soffit, but it completed the job and then some. Go figure.....:whistling

ahhhh slotted board soffit,i really like that.....damn you:notworthy

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ahhhh slotted board soffit,i really like that.....damn you:notworthy
Here's some more Azek stuff. Finally got finish on all the columns. Notice the small gap between the collar and the shaft of the column. It's a small rabbet to prevent the column shaft from chafing with expansion and contraction. The collars are not attached to the shaft in any way. The shafts were painted before the caps were installed.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
yes:thumbsup: slip fit overlay type designs could be good way to help eliminate most of the movement problems with pvc

details like that could also maybe be incorporated into long length fascia and soffit systems

maybe instead of always trying to lock in pvc joints like we do with wood we recognize that ''wood it looks like but wood it aint''

it would depend a lot on our ability to see past the seamless look we all strive for

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
yes:thumbsup: slip fit overlay type designs could be good way to help eliminate most of the movement problems with pvc

details like that could also maybe be incorporated into long length fascia and soffit systems

maybe instead of always trying to lock in pvc joints like we do with wood we recognize that ''wood it looks like but wood it aint''

it would depend a lot on our ability to see past the seamless look we all strive for
You bring up a good point Tom. We are working on some ideas for a slip joint for long runs. We have a few failures on this job. It made it through one annual climate cycle without problems. Now we are losing some of the joints. The Christy's held, but the joints are breaking at the short point of the bevel joint. The dark color is definitely compounding the problem. South side is the worst, North side, not bad at all. Under the porch roof, no failures at all.:rolleyes:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Figured this was a good place to post these pics. I didn't put forth nearly as much effort as Brian, but had lots of fun anyway.

Birdhouse build pics....

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
more

Attachments

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
awesome work my friend. had to take a double take on one pic though, i thought you had built the box end returns outta mdf, but then realized it was azek being painted mdf brown

21 - 40 of 61 Posts