Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally starting to figure out how to work my sprayer a little bit, but I came up with two more dumb questions:

When I'm brushing trim, I can fill small gaps with paint. What do I do when I'm spraying? I tried spraying extra heavy, but that just made a mess. Do I have to caulk everything with a microscope? Touch up with a brush? How does that usually work?

Second, how do I spray trim that requires multiple passes from different angles? Window and door trim have to get sprayed from the side and from the front, right? I always get way too much paint on there when I do two passes.

·
Registered
943 Posts
instock said:
So I'm finally starting to figure out how to work my sprayer a little bit, but I came up with two more dumb questions: When I'm brushing trim, I can fill small gaps with paint. What do I do when I'm spraying? I tried spraying extra heavy, but that just made a mess. Do I have to caulk everything with a microscope? Touch up with a brush? How does that usually work? Second, how do I spray trim that requires multiple passes from different angles? Window and door trim have to get sprayed from the side and from the front, right? I always get way too much paint on there when I do two passes.
What sprayer are you using? Tip?

Sorry if I missed another thread with that info.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Graco Magnum LTS 15 from Lowe's to practice on. I put in a Titan 210 fine finish tip. Hardware seems to be working pretty well.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Youll get better lines if you caulk your moulding lines. Takes fifteen minutes a room. If youre shooting two coats you can back brush the first one and then do a second untouched coat for the look of a sprayed finish.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Spraying is much faster on the application but not forgiving at all with prep work. Everything must be properly puttied and caulked because the spray won't fill it. If its going to heavy with 2 passes you are going way to heavy with both of them, take it easy and do an extra coat. A lot of times you can come from the left at about a 45 and the from the right and get good coverage all around (depending on what your spraying of course).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Back brushing after spraying trim? huh? Not me.

Those small voids and splits should be filled and spot primed.

As for spraying door edges and the like before spraying the face, it takes practice, trial and error. Use the left side end of your fan spray pattern and quickly run some spray up and down the the door edge. This will also spray some on the face of the door. That's OK as you will immediately aim your gun at doing the face of the door where some of that overspray landed. Just remember that it already has some paint on it so go easy on the first up and down pass on that part of the door face that's near the door edge, then continue spraying the rest of the door face.

·
Da Boss....
474 Posts
I have to agree with Carlson, no back brushing for me on interior trim. It's a spray finish, why would I add texture from a brush? After a short while you will figure out how far you have to take your caulking etc. Once you do, things should really move for ya.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I think part of my problem is trying to spray the ProClassic. I like the way it looks when I brush it on, so I figured spraying it would be phenomenal. But maybe I should work with something a little less runny while I get my skills together.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Prep is everything for a good spray job. Filling nail holes and imperfections, sanding and caulking are all things that need to be done properly. No one should be relying on paint to hide the imperfections, those should already be sorted out before picking up that spray gun.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Prep is everything for a good spray job. Filling nail holes and imperfections, sanding and caulking are all things that need to be done properly. No one should be relying on paint to hide the imperfections, those should already be sorted out before picking up that spray gun.
So true. Sometimes I wonder why the call it painting because prep can take forever. We should call it preping and paint is included. :laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
PREP PREP PREP!!! Gotta be the most important thing when spraying. Caulk everything and give it time to dry. Trying to fill small cracks with with paint is a pretty bad idea especially if your spraying and eventually it'll just open up anyway. Oh and as far as brushing goes after spraying…I highly disagree. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts