Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,227 Posts
I'm curious Tom, is there a significant labor time difference between using Dexpan and a jackhammer? Drilling all of those holes has to be pretty time-consuming.

Been wanting to play with that stuff for years.

·
Contractor
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You know, I'm trying to figure that out myself.

It was less than 1/2 day to drill and add the mortar, including set up and pick up.

Less than 1 hour today chipping the rest of it out. I do belive it made my "today" quite a bit easier.

So far, with my little experience, I think it's worth the effort to drill and add this stuff.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
I'm curious Tom, is there a significant labor time difference between using Dexpan and a jackhammer? Drilling all of those holes has to be pretty time-consuming.

Been wanting to play with that stuff for years.
If the rock is gneiss, with no cleavage planes, then hammering won’t do diddly. Not sure what dexpan does in this case, but I would guess it breaks somehow.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,227 Posts
If the rock is gneiss, with no cleavage planes, then hammering won’t do diddly. Not sure what dexpan does in this case, but I would guess it breaks somehow.
I'd expect performance to be similarly poor. You have my permission to experiment and report back. :LOL:

·
Registered
Demolition
58 Posts
Used it before. It's good stuff and has its uses.

Iirc, you have to order a certain temperature range based on ambient temp at the jobsite.

·
Contractor
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'd expect performance to be similarly poor. You have my permission to experiment and report back. :LOL:
I'd bet good money that this stuff would bust that rock right up. 💥

·
Contractor
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Used it before. It's good stuff and has its uses.

Iirc, you have to order a certain temperature range based on ambient temp at the jobsite.
You are correct. I have some of the low temp product here in the shop, I bought back in January.
I called the manufacturer about a different issue dealing with hole diameter. He asked which product I had on hand.
I didn't know but the labeling is green.
He told me that was the low temp product and would cause blowouts in the summer heat.
I had to order the package with the red label.

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
You are correct. I have some of the low temp product here in the shop, I bought back in January.
I called the manufacturer about a different issue dealing with hole diameter. He asked which product I had on hand.
He told me that was the low temp product and would cause blowouts in the summer heat.
Good thing you called!

·
Registered
Demolition
58 Posts

You ain't kidding.
First time I used it, my office ordered the low temp.
Try using that in the Florida heat!

The stuff came shootin out of the holes. We had probably over 20 holes drilled.
The dark black cloud took a good 20min to clear.

Funny thing is I read the directions on how to apply it.
Just didn't check I had the right temp.
Lesson learned,
....... unfotunately, the hard way. Just glad no one got hurt.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
You ain't kidding.
First time I used it, my office ordered the low temp.
Try using that in the Florida heat!

The stuff came shootin out of the holes. We had probably over 20 holes drilled.
The dark black cloud took a good 20min to clear.

Funny thing is I read the directions on how to apply it.
Just didn't check I had the right temp.
Lesson learned,
....... unfotunately, the hard way. Just glad no one got hurt.
You need to recreate that and get it on video.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts