Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts
BoneMon,,,After a lot of years in the trade, thinking on my feet during several projects.... You have got to be the best fly by the seat of your pants

Carpenter I have the Honor to meet . Go Get Em Bro !!! J.

A couple questions Bone. Why is the temp wall bumped out a couple of inches from the deck?

Not really a question, but I thought you doubled up the stringers & notched in the tread on those curved stairs, this one you have metal brackets to fasten the treads to.

BTW, thanks for posting up pics & all for this job. This old dog might learn a new trick & give that a try. I have a redo coming up that one of those would look really cool on. Looking at your pics tho could mislead me (getting me to thinking I could pull it off) & get me in trouble.

Discussion starter · #49 · (Edited)
st- cole's right, temporary form, all that hem fir that I used for the wall will not be wasted except for the 2 2x12x10' that make up the top and bottom plate, the studs I get em as 10's from my supplier and return em back as 8"s so it all works out.
Jonmon appreciate the complimentary words very much,
al I mortised the treads and stringers on the last one and it was a total *****, there were still stair angles on that one too, so the net end result was no different than whats going on here, as far as the 4" offset between the deck and the stairs is for the outboard railpost installation, lemme see if I can dig up another shot

Very nice work...

One question: What hold the stringer on a curve after the temperay stud wall is removed?

I can't picture why the two stringers would not find the original shape.

Thanks,

-B

That is some great work Bone saw.

I would love to see the installation of the outer stringer. I would imagine it is not a one man job.

Do your stairs have risers when complete?

Do you get spring back once forms are removed? I would suspect you would.

Thanks for posting pictures. It is very interesting to see how you do it.

Dave

Discussion starter · #59 · (Edited)
How do you figure your stringer length?
I wouldn't even know, or want to know the math involved to figure this out, not that it couldn't be done, that's why it really needs to be done on autocad or sketchup, I'm not proficient in sketchup so I do it in autocad. The key is in the tread shape, you are really just pulling the respective inner radii with a tape onto your tread stock, from your "pie shaped" tread you can determine the arc length (run) and layout the stringer flat like any other stringer. you HAVE to trust the geometry or you will have problems, ratchet straps and brute force, wet pieces with no knots, good grain patterns and no cupping or edge defects. the stair angles help to induce the bias twist, it is important to get the twist and bring everyting tight and like I said before trust the geometry, its easy to try to go at it halfway, but one small missalignment will progressively get worse down the line. the stair angles keep the stringers in perpendicular tension via the treads, and the tread shape and stringer layouts give it the "dna twist" with each stringer fastened at both ends and held in perpendicular tension to each other, once fully assembled becomes monolithic in nature and there is zero springback

this post may be helpfull too

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Great job Bone,

You do need to either invest in a autofocus camera, or lay off the sauce, before you take pics.
:laughing:lol

camra phone pix, no flash slow shutter speed, I'll get some good pix with camera next week

41 - 60 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.