Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I bought some new lighting for the spray room. I finally was able to get it installed.

The lights I had in there since I built the place were T12 75 watt 8' fluorescents. I have 4 units, each with 2 bulbs. So 8 bulbs in the room, they did pretty well. It was nice and bright in there. Brighter than any other part of my shop, which it should be since it's the finishing room.

What I replaced them with is T5 54HO watt 4' fluorescents. The fixtures are strip fixtures whereas my 8 footers have reflectors. So I just mounted the new fixtures to the reflectors.

I took measurements with my phone using CPU-Z which has a lux meter using the RGB sensor on the phone.

Because my room is 18' wide and I have two rows of 8' lights with 16' lineal ft of lighting the light output was very even. It averaged about 800 lux.

After I put the new lights in it was much brighter. But not as even. Since the fixtures are only 4' long I centered them in the 8' reflectors. If they had a double lamp that was 8' long (4x2) I would have chosen that style. But the style I have is 2 lamps side by side and 4' long.

You can't really tell by eye that it's uneven so it really doesn't matter. With the meter you can see it. Maximum reading is about 1250 lux and minimum is about 1050 lux. So either way it's brighter, call it 1150 average in the room.

So with the old lamps I had 8 x 75 watt, so 600 watts of light for 800 lux of lighting.

And with the new lamps I have 8 x 54 watts so 432 watts of light for 1150 lux of lighting.

It comes down to about 30% more light for 28% less electricity. Now that a good bang for the buck.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not the best. CRI is 85, the temp is 4100K, it's a little to pink for me. Eventually I am going to replace them with the same tubes I have in my shop which are CRI of 93+ and 5900K

It's a Philips lamp with a mean lumen output of 4625

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who said I was using it any other way. I needed a baseline and a final. The app provided that. I could have easily used a solar cell and a multimeter to do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts