Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the other day I went to an elderly woman's house. She is a widow and was referred to us by her brother in law. We did his roof last year. I knew the sale was going to be butter (easy), because I score big time with referrels and elderly windows and put the two together and it's damned near guaranteed.

I got the contract with no hassel, haggeling, or really discussion of any kind; as I knew I would. As soon as I got the contract the instant shock hit me of "I should have charged her more!" But I didn't. I gave her a fair price because I don't believe in taking advantage of the dis-advantaged.

Is this a handicap in the business world? I have mixed feelings. I keep fighting myself over it. I have greedy grumpy on one shoulder and sunday school grumpy on the other. Greedy grumpy has been drinking all morning too ;)

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
This happens to me all the time. I know I could've charged more, but I didn't. Sometimes it bothers me, but hey, I'm just building Karma for the next go-round. :cheesygri

I also try to do at least one charity job a year. Last year we hung a room in the Ronald McDonald house, had Sherwin Williams donate the paper and supplies. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. ;)

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
There is always a moral issue in those situations. Like Grumpy said - angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. Personally I try and take morality out of it and look at it from an ethical viewpoint. Of course the morals you have will still come into play, but from an ethical standpoint you ask yourself - What if this were me? What would my competitor do (may be the wrong choice)? If I do it this way - could it jeopardize my company? What does it do to the industry as a whole?
Just some random thoughts there.. :)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just paying karma back so it doesn't destroy me one day for my teen age and younger twenty years.

I always say base your price on eating and sleeping. You have to charge enough to eat but not sooo much that you stay awake at night with a guilty conscience.

By no means did I give her a deal. I gave her the same price I would have given any other home owner... and trust me everything you just said I thought of twice already. Still kickingmyself with one leg and patting my back with one hand.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy, you did it because you're a quality guy and that's what quality guys do. You were being trusted, and you didn't abuse the trust. People remember that. In this day and age, trust is hard to earn and easy to lose. Short-term you don't make every last dollar on the sale, but you'll be around much longer than the sleaze-buckets that rip the people off. Congratulations.:Thumbs:

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
what good would that extra money really do?

morally nothing.

I am not afraid to tell a client that an upgrade just may not be the smartest option for their particulliar situation, and they like that trust.

U

·
0 Posts
morals

Grumpy you should never question whether or not you did the right thing when you HAVE done the right thing. Do business ethically and you will not have the worries that some contractors do, nor will you be using lame excuses to justify your actions. You did the right thing, stop kicking yourself.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, you're OK in my book. I think that most of us do it.
My biggest problem is that the average age in this state is old and if you get a rep for being too cheap pretty soon you are a philanthropist and I'm not that well off yet.
Many times it is a tough call. I've been called for an estimate in a trailer park and they are driving late model, his/hers Towncars and crying fixed income poormouth.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I paid to see a speaker who is well known in the flooring biz, and he was telling us a story that had to do with never judging a book by it's cover.
Like if someone comes into your store, and looks to you like they don't have money, it doesn't mean a thing, they could still be loaded.
that's where the story comes into play. This speaker was from Vermont, and he lived in a high class neighborhood, but not far from his home, there are people who have old homes that may look a tad run down, with some run down cars maybe in the yard, but if you examine some of them closely, you just might find that they own a Harley, and some damn nice expensive shotguns, and alot of other expensive things they like dumping their money into besides a new roof, or new carpet :)
Some people are just plain trashed by nature, like a former Portland Trailblazer (I will not name), that had me measure his house one time, and the place was TRASHED! and this dude made millions on millions..

it takes all kinds...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
NEVER estimate a book by it's cover!
I had a customer that showed up in overalls and a flannel shirt, hadn't shaved in a few days. He gave me a blank check with his mark in the signature area. I called the bank and they OK'd it.
Turns out that this was the guy that put together the dual stick remote control for R/C aircraft! He also owned the largest loghome company in the US and bred draft horses which were really hot with the elite in the NE at the time.
He couldn't read or write!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I met a guy in Idaho through a mutal friend. My friend asked if he could cash a check for him - "Sure no problem - stop by the house". Well his house was a 70' single wide trailer. Inside it he had the biggest steel vault I'd ever seen... and it was stock full of cash. Said he didn't like banks..haha. He raises Arabian horses as a hobby and sold them all over the world. He said he used to travel all over the US and he would carry 10k with him and he would find people with ideas that could possibly make money and he would invest a certain amount with them. Handshake was good enough back then.. well his biggest one that he could remember was Rainbird. Apparently he gave this guy 7k way back when and the system of course is used all over today.
Interesting guy and very down to earth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Without the elderly would we even exist ?
This time of year is always a gimme for us as we donate 120 man hours and 5k to Christmas in April which is real big in our area.
So Grumpy if you feel good inside. you know what it to takes to keep or loose the feeling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts