Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 years ago I gave an estimate to the sister of a family we do ALOT of work for. There are like 10 siblings and weve done work for most of them, and most of them own multiple buildings.

My estimate was WAY off. I redid the math today and I was 1000 higher 4 years ago then I would be now, and not because our prices are lower, because I really messed up my math originally.

To make a long story short, one of her brothers told me she is starting to now lose shingles. I want to approach her to try to close the sale but don't know what to do. Here is my moral dilema.

Knowing that I am $1000 higher than I normally would be:
Should I approach her with the proper price?
Should I approach her with the proper price and family discount?

or

Should I match the price from 4 years ago and try to make a really good sale knowing I am financially raping her?

Normally, if she wasn't a member of this family I would probably match the price from years ago and go at it guns blazing. What would you do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bite the bullet and give her the better price and maybe a little extra and explain maybe being a family member got her a better price.

Face it no amount of money will allow you to sleep.

Or there is the down payment on the new truck LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Grumpy, I'm new here, but I have to agree with the others. Let her know that you made an error in the figures. If nothing else, you could look yourself in the in the mirror.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You might be able to recover something due to rising prices. I'm not up on shingles but I do know what's happened to plywood.
4 yrs. is a long time to be held to a quote. IMHO

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, what's the problem? It's REAL easy to go down, you'll make friends all of the way.
Another way to look at it is how would you like the information delivered to you? I think that something like, Mr. Grumpy, I'm verry sorry but when I was working up your estimate I made a mistake. The actual cost of your roofing will be $**** less than the original quote. I have recalculated and the actual cost will be $*****. Can we agree on this new price?
Who in their right mind would turn this down? Your honesty would become legend. This is the kind of thing that people talk about, getting screwed comes first but a good deal is a close second. Honesty and fairness have eliminated my advertising costs. I am booked solid for nearly a year and am looking for more talent. I haven't had an advertising budget for three years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fantastic and you will get a good night sleep and over the weekend think of how difficult it is closing most deals and why was this one so easy but yet so hard

You did the right thing and my hat is off to you !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts