Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a customers house today. Nice sized job. Roof, siding, gutters, and windows.

I am giving my presentation and it came up they had another estimate. As always I asked "Oh who is it from?" the owner said the name of the last company I worked for.

I've got an uneasy feeling bidding against him. I know his price is going to be less than mine but I know I can easily land this job if it's only the two of us bidding as the owner had said.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
IMO--I'd approach it just like you would any other bid. I wouldn't use any information that you have about the former that's not public knowledge. But, since it's a coincidence and not like you used his customer list to get the appointment-- I see this as "business is business" deal. I also understand your feeling though... good luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some companies, when faced with a departing employee, have a non-competion clause so they can't solicet that company's customers. It's a good idea for situations when a company wants to protect their contract work from former employees who have an edge to approach the customers.

I don't think you have any problem here. You're on your own and every new customer is fair game. Unless they have a history with your old boss, which it doesn't sound like it, you are cool. Of course, your intimate knowledge of the other company does give you an edge, you can find ways to not abuse that edge and still land the job.

Just think of all the work you wouldn't get if you never compete against a former employer.

Don

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, Yes a non compete agreement is a good idea but very hard to enforce, almost impossible really. Also I'd never had signed one unless I was made partner and given partial ownership in the company. Lastly I'd never consider stealing any customers from my old boss. He and I are on good terms. INfact he's coming to my wedding.

I think it's gonna be "business is business" and I'm not gonna tell him I'm winning this one, and hope he never finds out either :) I just dont want the drama. LOl He's tried hard to talk me into moving my service area, or dropping roofing from my service list.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Grumpy said:
I think it's gonna be "business is business" and I'm not gonna tell him I'm winning this one, and hope he never finds out either :) I just dont want the drama. LOl He's tried hard to talk me into moving my service area, or dropping roofing from my service list.
Is this from where the delimma comes. It sounds like you kinda think it would be wrong if you'd want to hide the fact from him. If you're on good terms it shouldn't be a problem. Suppose this situation is repeated in a month. Will you not tell him about that one? It's really not his business anyway. Why purposely hide the fact though? I'm confused, you know you're a stand-up guy, what delima?

Don

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Grumpy, answer this...If he walked in to do a quote for a customer you had previously given a quote to, would he still bid for the job?

You're the only one who knows your relationship with him well enough to answer.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Grumpy said:
He's tried hard to talk me into moving my service area, or dropping roofing from my service list.
I understand your dilemma. However, your statement above leads me to believe that he would probably bid on a job even if he knew you had already bid. It doesn't sound to me like either of you would seek out each other's customers. There's nothing wrong with honest competition.

If it were me, I wouldn't hard sell, by that I mean put down your former boss' qualifications or skills. I would simply present your bid, promote your skills and expertise, etc. and then leave it up to the customer to decide. You say your price will be higher so it's not like you're undercutting his bid.

This is just my opinion...

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
"oh, you got a bid from --------, well they are a good company, I know because I worked for them. Here is some resons why I believe I can compete with them......................................."

the end

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm in agreement with everybody else. Forget that you ever saw his estimate. You have probably gone up against him before without knowing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts