Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a plumber and im planning on collecting customer emails from now on...im planning on sending out monthly e-fliers with a tip of the month and also a product of the month(w/ a coupon for it)

I have a cabinet friend who does w/ good results...and id think a plumber would do even better

any of the tradesman do it?

anyone w/ constant contact.com experience? for $15 a month it allows you do track how many open their emails and also have multiple pages to your email...kinda like a mini website....im thinking for $180 a year its more than worth it

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you really want to spend your time writing an email newsletter every month? I say this and I own a busy autoresponder company with a few thousand customers. We started it in 2004.

Unless you are very active with your mailing list it will be a fruitless effort. One newsletter a month wouldn't fall into that category unless it's memorable and packed with a ton of value.

You might be better off building up and engaging your followers on Facebook or Google+ where they are probably more likely to read the information.

Email "open" tracking (our system does it) relies on a tiny/invisible image pixel to be displayed in the clients email. If they don't allow the tracking pixel you won't get accurate open data. If they don't click a link, no data. If it's a plain text email, no data, so while it's a cool feature it doesn't work 100% for any provider.

Constant Contact, Aweber, GetResponse and MailChimp are all great choices for automated email followups if you want an outside service.

There are also a few Wordpress autoresponder plugins available now too that can manage small mailing lists right through your WP install which can be great for small scale lists like a contractors.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my cabinet friend gets 20% opened and does get 1 or 2 calls for every news letter

I am planning on having a promotional item of the month and giving $10-20 off on it...hoping coupons will make people interested

with plumbing there's so many products I can show people...there's always something new

ill also have monthly advice.

I also know a fence guy it works so-so for

this will be my wifes pet project...so it costs me almost no time other than to plug in the new email addresses each week and give her a subject once a month

if I get a 2 calls a month from it id be thrilled

my mailing list has ONE customer in it so far....so it will take years just to build it up

·
Registered
529 Posts
my cabinet friend gets 20% opened and does get 1 or 2 calls for every news letter
So for every 100 emails sent 20 get opened? That's a poor open rate for someone who's mailing a targeted list for a niche service and tells me that his subscribers aren't too excited about the content he's sending.

This is exactly why I am suggesting you try Facebook and/or Google+ to build a list of followers and send these updates. Twitter if you really want to be annoying.

You'll engage more potential customers on a level that is much more appropriate for these type of updates.

If you spend a bit of money on Facebook PPC you can acquire local fans (of a certain demographic) for your business quickly and have people you can engage much faster than waiting a few years to build a good list and spending hours writing out newsletter content not very many people are looking at. I could acquire 100 Facebook Fans (local) long before you'd ever get to 10 email subscribers.

Have your wife blog instead. Post it to social media, this will benefit your web presence.

I am planning on having a promotional item of the month and giving $10-20 off on it...hoping coupons will make people interested.
You should be creating those special offers on your Google+ local listing/Yelp/Kudzu etc...

Send a quick FB update letting people know you've got a $100 off coupon for a new tankless water heater install, along with a link to your blog post about how much better tankless is than a standard water heater.

Now people can even click the "like" button and share your stuff with their friends because it's easy.

Hook up your existing customers to some type of feedback loop soliciting their positive review on your social profiles after you provide service and get them to connect with you socially.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts