Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PCI
General Contracting
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll. I came across "kickstart". Now I am not promoting this site, I am encouraging you old timers and younguns (see how I typed young guns as young-uns). To submit some of you cool ideas I have heard about here to create some jing!

Hansons came out with the carpenter pencil sharpener and holder. Now it's your turn.

The only reason I bring this up is you guys know how and what we need. Now lets cash in. I have an idea that I will launch shortly and I will keep you up dated.

Heck, a guy is currently getting 70k to make potatoe salad. Come on! We as a group can offer an azzload better than potatoes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've looked into this, but not sure why people would give money away. I understand you can give certain gifts or rewards if you spend x amount of money, i.e. T-shirts, coupons, etc.

Do people got money falling out their behinds?

Do you know the process and could explain it?

What exactly do the investors get?

·
PCI
General Contracting
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Investors usually get some of the product. Like the tool that they came up with or a gallon of the potatoe salad etc...

Investors get no part of the company. I don't know why people give their mo.ey away, but I'm getti.g in line.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I have a thousand ideas, none of which I will share. I keep a notebook full of 'em, and so far about 40% have seen fruition because others have come up with the same idea. Always cool to point in my notebook in say: see I thought of that back in (insert date).

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I think that several people can come up with the same idea. It's just that most don't think about their idea as a useful product other than to say, "wouldn't it be nice if______." Of those who say, "I could bottle this and become a millionare" most don't bother getting off of the sofa.

·
Punching above his weight
11,493 Posts
Kickstarter is pretty neat.

You can give a relatively small some of money and affect a decent amount of change. Good bang for your buck. Unlike charitable giving where you're handing it to a middle man with essentially no accountability, with Kickstarter you're handing it right to the business model starter.

Like OP said, you generally get in on the product/idea if it launches, but you don't get a stake in the company.

Cool stuff going on there, also hilarious jokes gone too far like the guy who asked for $10 to make potato salad and got 70k. hah

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
It's a little ridiculous to be sort of "donating" or fronting money to a startup for-profit capitalist business because it's a cool product or idea.

With no shares of the company and usually just the promise of one of whatever they're producing, not sure how I feel about it.

It is really hard as a person with a good idea or concept to launch it quickly and independently. I guess it enables some to bring these things to fruition without signing away rights to a larger entity whose gambling on them. In the end I'd assume most of the goods and products will be sold to larger companies regardless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts