Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a five gallon bucket of paint that I mixed and used last fall when the weather was still nice. It has been stored in my basement throughout the winter. Upon opening it I find a thick layer of white mold on the surface and mold growing on the lid. Can any of this paint be used if I take the mold off the top? Do you have any advice for me, other than adding some mold retardant into the paint next time? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I never use paint that's questionable. I personally would toss it and by paint that I know is of good quality. Much cheaper than putting on a bad product and having to deal with that and then putting new on over it after a failure.

As far as advice for next time, does your basement get below freezing? Paint usually does ok stored for a little while at a reasonable temperature but if it's left in extreme temps, it doesn't work as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
I have a five gallon bucket of paint that I mixed and used last fall when the weather was still nice. It has been stored in my basement throughout the winter. Upon opening it I find a thick layer of white mold on the surface and mold growing on the lid. Can any of this paint be used if I take the mold off the top? Do you have any advice for me, other than adding some mold retardant into the paint next time? Thanks in advance.
Are you a painting contractor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are you a painting contractor?

I am licensed as a general contractor, but we do a lot of painting, both interior and exterior. We do not keep any inventory so when doing jobs, we buy what is needed and rarely store any leftover paint. I have stored some paint before in my basement, but have never had it go moldy, not the least bit, and of course have never seen anything like this, nor have I ever heard of any mold like this occurring. I have even stored paint for a year or two, or even three, and have never come across a mold problem before, which is why I am asking. I am not one to throw things away, and hate to throw away about $100 of paint. I guess it is the frugal workingman in me. LOL

My basement does not go anywhere near freezing as it is always the warmest part of the house in the winter, probably because that is where the gas furnace that heats the house is located. I am well aware that freezing temperatures can ruin paint.

The mold is white in color and is about a half inch thick layer on the entire top of the paint. There are also big round white mold spores growing on the inside of the lid of the bucket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:thumbsup:

It's customary here to put up an intro in the introductions section.

We get a LOT of DIY's and homeowners that simply want to save a buck by picking the brains of the pros.

Sorry, I didn't know. If anyone (contractor, homeowner, DIYer) wants to pick my brains, I will be more than happy to impart as much knowledge as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you use the paint somewhere you are immediately introducing mold into that persons house. No matter how well you scrape it off it will still be in the paint. Any mold that can aggressively grow in a relatively short period of time I would not want in my house.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know. If anyone (contractor, homeowner, DIYer) wants to pick my brains, I will be more than happy to impart as much knowledge as possible.
You miss the point of this site. It isn't to help HO's or DIYer's, not that anyone of us wouldn't, most are also signed up at the DIYCHATROOM as well and help them out there.

This site is for contractors. It's curious that you are a general but listed yourself as a painter. Seems fishy to me. It also seems fishy that you would even need to ask if it's okay to use moldy paint. While the mold may be on the surface you can guarantee that it's also in the mix. I don't know, but common sense would tell you that you don't want to go and paint mold on anyone's walls.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
If you cracked a sandwich open at lunch & it was moldy....

What would you do with it?....:whistling

Same with the paint....:laughing:

I'm talking what a NORMAL guy would do.......:thumbsup:

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
If you cracked a sandwich open at lunch & it was moldy....

What would you do with it?....:whistling
Depends on how hungry I am :eek:

I'm talking what a NORMAL guy would do.......:thumbsup:
What did you call me?? :laughing:

Anywho...Just toss the paint and save yourself the aggravation that WILL come from using it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts