Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
customer wants mold resistant sheetrock in basement but he does not want greenboard or duroc. what should i use its gonna get taped and painted. Do they make a mold resistant board .

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Dense Armor fiberglass drywall by GP. Fiberglass mesh tape and their mud for that product.

Wear long sleeves when hanging or handling it. :w00t:

No organic material to mold even if it gets soaked. :thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't know toss' all about drywall but 8 months ago I finished a job in a reno of a 9000 square foot house that suffered sever mold problems. Part of the house used regular drywall which was all torn out and replaced, the rest had a shiny foil back drywall which the mold didn't touch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Be sure to use mold resistant tape as well as wallboard. The Corning product works great and I spray the interior spaces with a borate and anti-freeze mix (glycol) that stops mold, dry rot, and even termites in their tracks, should a leak develop.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Be sure to use mold resistant tape as well as wallboard. The Corning product works great and I spray the interior spaces with a borate and anti-freeze mix (glycol) that stops mold, dry rot, and even termites in their tracks, should a leak develop.
Were in hell did you get that idea?
You will probably be getting more
like it, since the anti-freeze is killing
more brain cells all of the time.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I have an idea.
Call your Board of Health, and
share this clever trick with them. :clap:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sheet Rock

I would use a good paint or sealer instead of purchasing mold resistant sheet rock which can be expensive, not to mention once it is attached via screws or nails, the mold resistant surface is no longer covering the entire sheet, thus it is still suseptible to mold.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
you should go with a MR board, the denshield will cost more.
MR is greenboard, it is moisture resistant, not Mold resistant, not even sure if MR is available as it has been replaced with XP (barney board) it is Mold resistant as well as Moisture resistant.

The reason denshield will cost more than MR, is because it is a better product.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Smoking crack is bad for you.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I would use a good paint or sealer instead of purchasing mold resistant sheet rock which can be expensive, not to mention once it is attached via screws or nails, the mold resistant surface is no longer covering the entire sheet, thus it is still suseptible to mold.
You might want to rethink this.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I always tried not to form opinions
without facts.
Guess I should rethink my position....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts