Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at buying a home and have no previous experience with mold problems. This house I am currently looking at had a huge tree fall on the roof. The bank owns it (REO) and they hired a local carpenter to come in and quickly fix the damage. (new roof) rafters etc. Anyway for months there was a huge hole in the roof and it rained and snowed in the house for at least two months maybe longer. Now the home seems to be in pretty decent shape and is on the market for a decent price. the only problem/questions I have are about mold and what damage could of occurred by water going down the wall to the foundation. When I enter the home it is pretty musty smelling. I have a buddy/acquaintance who owns a mold remediation company and I asked him how he checks for mold he said "I just go in the homes and look for it and smell for it" Is that the technical way that people check for mold? Also in the sun room thats attached to the house but was a add on. inside the home behind all the wood paneling/drywall in this room there is plastic behind the wood paneling/drywall (perhaps vapor barrier) which would make me think there is a moisture issue in the room. What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Go get a mold test kit. Available at most hardware, lumber yards & the big box stores.

I use ProLab quite a bit. Very good test, fast and inexpensive.

http://www.prolabinc.com/

What kind of real estate disclosure laws are in your state?

In California you have to disclose if someone farted in a room...:laughing:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tip. I bought that same test kit for my current home and heard that it picked up everything as in (it would always show something to make you worry when there will always be traces/results of some mold in all homes) <---not sure if thats true.

This was my results in my current home:

Are those results anything to worry about? How accurate are these things? All homes have some traces of mold right? How do the pros check for it? Thanks alot guys I know nothing about mold really.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,331 Posts
Go get a mold test kit. Available at most hardware, lumber yards & the big box stores.

I use ProLab quite a bit. Very good test, fast and inexpensive.

http://www.prolabinc.com/

What kind of real estate disclosure laws are in your state?

In California you have to disclose if someone farted in a room...:laughing:
Good thing I don't live in California, I'd never sell my house... Does how many times count?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ohh and i live in Va and they do have to disclose mold (IF IT IS FOUND) which means someone has to pay for the test/company to come in and once it is found they have to disclose that to everyone. This home has not been checked for it though

I resized the pictures if you click the little box in the corner.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Yes the ProLab kits detect what's in the air.

This is why you need to read the results carefully & research the findings. Pretty educational.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Do you actually work in the trades or are you really a DIY flipper coming here for a series of how-do-I lessons.

The admins and mods here normally only want pros here. We all ask questions, but we are also able to give advice to the board. Do you have the ability to answer questions, or just ask them?

Every post you have made on this board is a "how to" question. Maybe you'd be better off at DIYChatroom or flipper.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you actually work in the trades or are you really a DIY flipper coming here for a series of how-do-I lessons.

The admins and mods here normally only want pros here. We all ask questions, but we are also able to give advice to the board. Do you have the ability to answer questions, or just ask them?

Every post you have made on this board is a "how to" question. Maybe you'd be better off at DIYChatroom or flipper.com
No I am not a flipper. I have been working with my buddy doing carpentry for a few years now as side work I am not expert in mold because I have never had to deal with it. I do however know about framing, drywall, plumbing, I have done floating floors, kitchens/cabinets, etc. If anyone has any questions about that I would be more than happy to help. This mold issue is beyond me though. Most of the work me and my buddy do are decks and finish basements (seem to get alot of that for what ever reason). Not to sure about foundation damage and mold though.

thanks,

·
Artist and not a curator
14,331 Posts
No I am not a flipper. I have been working with my buddy doing carpentry for a few years now as side work I am not expert in mold because I have never had to deal with it. I do however know about framing, drywall, plumbing, I have done floating floors, kitchens/cabinets, etc. If anyone has any questions about that I would be more than happy to help. This mold issue is beyond me though. Most of the work me and my buddy do are decks and finish basements (seem to get alot of that for what ever reason). Not to sure about foundation damage and mold though.

thanks,
Which way do you prefer to frame a bastard hip and have the fascia line even? Do you flush frame your decks and why or why not?

Would you recommend arrester's on island supplies?

·
GC/carpenter
43,907 Posts
Deckhead said:
Which way do you prefer to frame a bastard hip and have the fascia line even? Do you flush frame your decks and why or why not? Would you recommend arrester's on island supplies?
Pretty hard on the boy aren't you DH?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.