Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Anyone have a suggestion on where to find a decent moisture meter at a decent price? Something like the tramex cme4... maybe someone has an extra or somebody going out of business, i hate to spend boku bucks for something i will use once or twice a year.
I would hate to spend ANY money on a tool whose only function is accuracy, if it ain't got it. Without it it is just a plastic square with lights and numbers....a $2 calculator will give you that.

It doesn't matter if you use it twice or a hundred times a year, its gotta be accurate.

Cheap out on some trowels or grout floats if you must, but not a piece of measuring equipment. Just my .02

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
i hate to spend boku bucks for something i will use once or twice a year.

Your not alone.

That thinking keeps the wood flooring failure investigators busy, doing inspections. I call it "job security"

That $400 meter, will save you $40,000. Pay now, or pay later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had good luck on both craigslist and ebay,,, got a Mini DXC Ligno, with calibration tool included for 225. That was on ebay,,, what are your needs, I inspect hardwood floor failures
I need a meter to read concrete and wood. I am in the planning stage of hardwood over concrete, now there is existing 3/4 real hardwood on 1/3 of the floor now, it is 4 years old with no cupping or problems yet. I have a meeting with the customer on thursday, i will suggest engineered and go over the pros and cons of each over concrete. In the mean time i would like to acquire a meter to handle the 2-3 hardwood jobs i receive a year. I have checked ebay and craigslist both with no luck, only cheapo manufacturers on ebay and nothing in the area on CL. So i am here taking my chances that someone may have an extra or one they will no longer need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Meter

Wow, on concrete, no cupping,,, lucky consumer. I like the Pin-type for hardwood and meters on concrete are less than accurate. I wrote an article regarding electronic meters on concrete and submitted to Ron Smith @ Wagner meter co. He said I was spot on in regards to inaccurate meters on concrete and for that matter nonintrusive meters on wood. I use the insitu probes on concrete now and my pin-meter on wood. I go to court alot and find the nonintrusive meters easily discounted. Insitu measures interior relative humidity which is much more accurate. If you email me I can send you the article in a PDF format. [email protected]

I like the engineered on concrete because the pre-finished warranty on floors like Mirage and Anderson take you, (the installer), out of the loop on finish complaints for up to 25 years

·
Registered
4 Posts
Meter

That being said FOLLOW the recommendations of the manufacturer of the floor you eventually install in regards to pre-installation testing and document, (with witness), all procedures/tests done. If a sand and finish follow NWFA NOFMA guidelines. (leave a paper trail for future liability),,,

·
Registered
216 Posts
For concrete: Tramex + Calcium Chloride + document everything

In-situ probes are more $, but more revealing of what the moisture content of the slab really is. I believe they will be required by manufacturers in the near future. If you can get get one of those on the cheap, I say get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts