Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My wife and I moved into our new house about a month ago. Today we were getting ready to paint our basement floor and noticed some dampness in a couple corners (pictures below)

I pulled back the poly and insulation to feel what was actually wet. The insulation is dry but my foundation wall is wet. Anyone know what's causing this. Could it be a poor job of sealing the foundation. I'm kind of concerned that when winter hits that if it freezes it may wreck the foundation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Check exterior grading, near the corners, could be settlement since the house is new, extend your gutters away from foundation min 3' and you should never have an issue.

Good luck with your new House :thumbsup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have also mentioned that it's a new build too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The downspout leaders need extending away from the house or if buried the elbow may have separated due to settlement or quick backfilling or the exit point of the pipe maybe blocked.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Are you damp proofed or waterproofed on the outside? Drainage board installed?

Run a dehumidifier for a while and see if it dries up, new houses are wet, no ventilation running during the build, they need time to condition the inside space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts