Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldn't find anything recent on them, whats everyone's opinion/who owns one? Looking online they have some really nice ones that look like stick built houses, the interiors look fantastic as well. Wife and I are hopefully in the market soon and if this is a good option I will certainly explore it more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Modulars are stick built houses. The walls are built and sheathed in a jig. They will be more square, plumb and straighter than a site built house.
The biggest misconseption is a lot of people think double wide mobile homes are modulars and they are not.
Modulars are regular houses built in a controlled factory setting. They are built very well because the need to travel over the road and the craned into place.
What may people don't know is you can pick your fixtures and finishes. Everything isn't cheaply built.

Most people have no idea what a true modular looks like. Like I said they see a mobile home and say that is a modular.
One way to see if a house is a modular, the interior marriage wall (middle of the house) will be 2x6ish in width. That's were the section join together. Also at the exterior at the gable end the first 4-5' of fascia will have a seam. That is the hinge point of the trusses.
I would buy a modular in a heart beat. Even though I am more than capable and have built houses before I rather have a complete house delivered in 1/2 the time it would take to build a new one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I own , and live in a Modular.... I seriously think they are built better than stick built houses... When I renovated the bathrooms, and added a fireplace, the demo was not fun. The drywall and subfloors are glued and screwed, and it made the Demo a pita.... Also the house is in a developement in which there are 5 modulars, and 27 stick built houses. Unless you go in the basements, you could never tell which house is stick built , and which is a modular....
I would do it again!!

·
Super Moderator
28,847 Posts
I live in a Palm Harbor. I wish to god I hadnt bought it. But I was 24 and didnt know any better. Its not a bad house, but they loose value. I bought mine in the height of the boom. Im in a position to either sell for less than I paid or keep it. In july we made the decision to pay it off. I pay 2, 600 a month on it, be paid for in 51 more payments. Guy near me is renting his for 1150 a month. Mine is a better place, an acre of land. If I get a grand a month renting it, ill clear 700 a month after taxes, insurance and maintenance fund. To hard to pass up.

I own a little rent trailer outright, I get $650 for it. Between the two ill clear a grand or more a month.

I wouldn't buy one again, they loose to much value. Except for rental purposes. Rentals are my retirement plan.

Reactions: Spencer

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Ask a realtor what it's like to sell one. They are tougher to sell and banks don't like to borrow money on them.

I just did a water heater swap on one that sat for 2 years!!! The realtor had plenty of offers but every deal went bust because the banks didn't feel the collateral of the home was sustainable.

It was really neat looking and the lot was awesome. The plumbing was cheap garbage and was awful to work on. I would never buy one personally. They are attractive only based on price, no other reason really. And there's a reason they are cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
28,847 Posts
If they are supposedly just as good or better than a traditionally built home why do they depreciate?
Palm Harbor is a double wide, just a nice one. Modular might be different.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
I should say.......

If that's what you can afford that's what you can afford, there's no shame in that. Just remember that when you put hard earned money in something you want to protect that investment. It's been hard enough as it is protecting real estate values. Don't get caught in the depreciation trap.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Theoretically, I can't see much wrong with them......

So, if a CT Dream Team built one, it would be a testament to fine craftsmanship and everyone would stay nice and warm while working inside that huge building.

But.....that ain't the way it works.

They are the Dollar General of home building. Cheaper, faster, and most importantly.....cheaper.

This is just what I've come across in my various travels.

Now SIPS on the other hand..... I've been dying to try one of those.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I knew a guy who got busted trying to drive 25lbs. across the country.

He built modulars as part of his work release in prison.

Cons, anti-establishment attitudes and nail guns are not a combo that inspires my confidence.

·
Super Moderator
28,847 Posts
Oconomowoc;18584 6 said:
I should say.......

If that's what you can afford that's what you can afford, there's no shame in that. Just remember that when you put hard earned money in something you want to protect that investment. It's been hard enough as it is protecting real estate values. Don't get caught in the depreciation trap.

:thumbsup: Exactly

The only way I can make up the money on mine is to pay it off and rent it. :rolleyes:

But, at 24, its what I could afford. I wouldn't of been able to get started in business with a big mortgage probably.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jaws, the modular homes I'm talking about look like a regular house. I was looking at one earlier that was 2 stories, had a wrap around porch, and a 2 car garage. Looks nice but why wouldn't it on the companies website. I don't have the time or energy to build so I put that out of my mind a while back, this seemed like a good Idea if their claims are true but I'm not going to buy a home that will depreciate

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
:thumbsup: Exactly

The only way I can make up the money on mine is to pay it off and rent it. :rolleyes:

But, at 24, its what I could afford. I wouldn't of been able to get started in business with a big mortgage probably.
Actually, renting them is genius!

·
Super Moderator
28,847 Posts
Jaws, the modular homes I'm talking about look like a regular house. I was looking at one earlier that was 2 stories, had a wrap around porch, and a 2 car garage. Looks nice but why wouldn't it on the companies website. I don't have the time or energy to build so I put that out of my mind a while back, this seemed like a good Idea if their claims are true but I'm not going to buy a home that will depreciate
I have literally no experience in modular. If its a good deal, do it.

Myself, I have the means and lot to build a new house now, but not interested in loosing 35k. :rolleyes:

Just dont do it if you plan to sell and upgrade soon

·
Banned
4,895 Posts

So, if a CT Dream Team built one, it would be a testament to fine craftsmanship and everyone would stay nice and warm while working inside that huge building.

They are the Dollar General of home building. Cheaper, faster, and most importantly.....cheaper.

I'm with you on those SIPs. I really feel that's a great system and would love to build one. Same with foam block cement filled jobbers. It totally makes sense.

Of course, ever since spray insulation caught on those have been vanishing.

·
Super Moderator
28,847 Posts
Actually, renting them is genius!
Im no business guru, but I have a plan to have 30 rentals by 60.

Just wish I didn't have to live in it for another 4 years :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
28,847 Posts

I helped build a SIPS building a couple years ago for charity. Pretty cool, easy to work with. But im a carpenter by trade, I like wood :laughing:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts