Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A long while back I posted asking if anyone had heard of or used the Modular Arts panels.

At long last we've finally found the right project to use them and thought I'd share pics as we do the install.

This is what the finished product looks like:

The manuf. has about a dozen plus patterns to choose from.

www.modulararts.com

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This weekend

We set most of the panels set over the weekend.

They have around 1/4" of hardened/reinforced surface and the rest is gypsum. It cuts fairly easily with a dry diamond blade (I used a 4" diamond circular saw with a shop vac for the dust.)

The main wall wasn't anywhere near flat, so we furred it out with 1x material. The panels attach with screws (to drywall mollies if you don't have plywood/furring)--and the spec requires the edges to be construction adhesived to each other.

Originally, only the main fireplace wall was to be paneled--but we ended up having enough material (well, close anyway--we had to order one additional) to do the wrap into the butler's pantry.

The outside corner is not a detail the manufacturer shows in their manuals, but the designer asked if it could be done and I enjoyed the challenge. Now I just have to make sure it doesn't get beat to hell during the remaining construction.

This week we'll fill the seams and sand it all smooth for priming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"going rate" is nothing more than a figure of speech. I apologize if I offended anyone. I am obviously new at this thing. I thought I might be able to get a quick answer as I am looking into having these things installed in my home. Boy was I wrong. Sorry I even asked.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did I miss something here?
Was there something wrong with the question that was asked?
We often have complete strangers showing up on the forum asking "how much is this" and "how do I price that"..... Without the slightest introduction or hello.

This is a website for professionals and as the internet is very much a public affair---you'll find very few on here who'll give the ins and outs of their pricing to a complete stranger. Besides that, how much I charge can be different than what someone might charge in another market.

It's common sense, but unfortunately most first time posters don't take that into consideration---or spend the 10 minutes it would take to look through the forum and get a sense of the community.

Most of the time this results in the new guy getting flamed... The guys with thick skins take it in stride... others get offended and move on... (and the homeowners/do it yourselfers are directed to the DIY forum.)

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
For many custom applications (like these modular arts panels), there really is no "going rate". It's a misconception that everything has a per unit price to it.

Every project is different...(i.e.-- the outside corner in the above pictures took much longer than the equal quantity of field panels. )

The price I charge then becomes a factor of how I bill out my time, and the time of the craftsmen who work for me--and not the quantity of panels we hung on the wall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First, I'm sorry that you've got your panties all in a wad over me not introducing myself.

Second, I understand all of that just fine.

Third, no I didn't take the time to do all of that, nor will I.

Lastly, I'm no "guy" I am very much a female. And, yes I have thick skin and am striding right along with all of this nonsense!

Sounds like some d-bags out there need to get lives or even better yet, get to work like the "professionals" that they supposedly are!

There you have it!

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
:laughing:
First, I'm sorry that you've got your panties all in a wad over me not introducing myself.

Second, I understand all of that just fine.

Third, no I didn't take the time to do all of that, nor will I.

Lastly, I'm no "guy" I am very much a female. And, yes I have thick skin and am striding right along with all of this nonsense!

Sounds like some d-bags out there need to get lives or even better yet, get to work like the "professionals" that they supposedly are!

There you have it!
:cry:................... :laughing:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts