Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to quote an addition on a 1200SF home they want another 900sf. While kicking around ideas the thought of up rather than out became an option. The home is already a modular and I was considering a modular second floor for both cost and speed- or should I say time that the home is unprotected from the elements with occupants still living there.

Has anyone had first hand experience with this?

I have seen the quality of modulars and I am less than impressed but it may be the solution that fits the bill in this situation.

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
I am also interested in others thoughts on this. Although I don't have an answer to this OP, I was also offered the opportunity to bid a project that consisted of a modular second story as well as a modular horizontal expansion.

The HO was not a good match for us so the conversations did not get very far.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked with a modular manufacturer today and this is very possible and quite feasible. The cost savings is substantial his "ballpark'' was $55 per sq ft delivered, this was for 1200SF 2 box set. The crew to set it was on them and crane was on me. The next step is to hire an engineer to confirm that the existing home is capable of the additional load.

I will be visiting the factory to see first hand what the quality is and to discuss the design and level of completeness I want.

Total time house will be without a roof 2 days, the day I am tearing off and the boxes being set the next morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts