Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Builder/Remodeler
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a project we're finishing for a long time client. I've worked on their house for nearly 18 years and in that time we've done every square inch inside and out, from crawlspace to ridge, in about 7 major phases plus numerous smaller projects.

We completed an outdoor kitchen for them last summer, and this covered seating area is adjacent to that.

The structure is a welded wide flange steel beam frame with cedar 2x web inserts on both sides of the beam posts (concealing wire paths for lighting, receptacles and the tv), and a wood frame and cedar wrapped floating roof capped with EPDM. Everything was custom built on-site.

The terrace is round, and one end of the roof structure is curved to match where it overlaps the edge. We steam bent the 1x cedar band board at that curve. Steam bending was probably overkill in hind sight. We probably could have gotten away with clamps, glue, screws and patience.

They've enjoyed watching TV in the outdoor kitchen and I suggested we automate a drop down TV in the ceiling of this new structure. I shopped around for a flip down powered mount but couldn't find one for less than $7K (which didn't work dimensionally anyway). I opted to fabricate a lift from linear actuators. Some photos of our progress--with the lift in place sans the TV.
Sky Building Cloud Shade Plant
Sky Building Plant Shade Wood
Plant Shade Wood Tree Architecture
Plant Shade Wood Tree Tints and shades
Property Wood Shade Plant Grass
Plant Sky Water Wood Shade

· Builder/Remodeler
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impressive!

Gotta ask though, how are getting away with those can lights in a ceiling assembly with no future access to the junction box?

I always use remodel cans in those situations.
In the non-ic version, you can sleeve the can down from the ceiling and the j-box has another removable cover on that side.

Machine Auto part Aluminium Nickel Font

I have a large box buried up in the ceiling for the lift and TV electronics that I'll make accessible by a removable cedar panel.

· Builder/Remodeler
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Whats the solution for the TV power?
I have an outlet also in the removable panel area that I'll grommet through to once the client buys the TV.

· Builder/Remodeler
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So those are like trunk lid hold-opens? Nice.
As tj said, they're linear actuators. Basically a 12v DC motor with a gearbox that drives the arm out when you send current one way through the motor, and then retracts it when you reverse the current. I've installed a momentary, polarity reversing switch on one of the posts to operate them. The connections are in that large j-box.

The actuators have built in stops to keep the motor from burning up at the limits of operation. I installed them in the down position at their extreme so it couldn't be lowered beyond 90 degrees. I'll have a contact switch in the closed position that stops the motor when the panel is flush to the ceiling. The contact switch has a diode soldered across it so the motor can still extend the actuators down when the limit opens up and stops it from operating in the "up" direction. (The diode allows current to flow in one direction but not the other).

Some actuators have position feedback built in--and you can get more complicated with the control mechanisms/boards to automate limit stops, change operating speed, have remote/key fob operation, etc. I'll try to report back on the durability/longevity of the system. I've read some have had issues with dual actuators not quite operating at the same speed--causing binding/motor burn out.

These actuators are easy to come by, fairly inexpensive, and are used in a lot of cabinet/furniture applications. It was fun to put together. My biggest concern is something binding up/dying in the up position since it won't be easy to get it down to fix. I'm trying to engineer a way to access the cotter pins of the actuators when it's closed for that eventuality--probably by making the cedar panels on each end of the panel removable.

This is the look we're going for. The ceiling will be v-groove t&g cedar:

Property Window Fixture Building Wood

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Table Flooring

· Registered
20,318 Posts
As tj said, their linear actualtors. Basically a 12v DC motor with a gearbox that drives the arm out when you send current one way through motor, and runs it in when you reverse the current. I've installed a momentary, polarity reversing switch on one of the posts to operate the lift.

The actuators have built in stops to keep the motor from burning up at the limits of operation---I installed them in the down position at their extreme. I'll have a contact switch in the closed position that stops the motor when the panel is flush to the ceiling.

Some actuators have position feedback built in--and you can get more complicated with the control mechanisms to build-in your limit stops, change operating speed, have remote/key fob operation.

These actuators are easy to come by, fairly inexpensive, and are used in a lot of cabinet/furniture applications. It was a fun little project. My biggest concern is something binding up/dying in the up position since it won't be easy to get it down to fix. I'm trying to engineer a way to access the cotter pins of the actuators when it's closed for that eventuality--probably by making the cedar panels removable.

This is the look we're going for. The ceiling will be v-groove t&g cedar:

View attachment 541368
View attachment 541369
Extended leaf butt hinges, pop the pins out the panel/TV will drop.

Tom

· Builder/Remodeler
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool,

Cedar ceiling?

Now is it really a Pergola or is it a Veranda?
Yes, it will be cedar---v-groove t&g... The same as the OD kitchen we just build for them.

Sky Shade Tree Floor Wood

· Registered
383 Posts
This is a project we're finishing for a long time client. I've worked on their house for nearly 18 years and in that time we've done every square inch inside and out, from crawlspace to ridge, in about 7 major phases plus numerous smaller projects.

We completed an outdoor kitchen for them last summer, and this covered seating area is adjacent to that.

The structure is a welded wide flange steel beam frame with cedar 2x web inserts on both sides of the beam posts (concealing wire paths for lighting, receptacles and the tv), and a wood frame and cedar wrapped floating roof capped with EPDM. Everything was custom built on-site.

The terrace is round, and one end of the roof structure is curved to match where it overlaps the edge. We steam bent the 1x cedar band board at that curve. Steam bending was probably overkill in hind sight. We probably could have gotten away with clamps, glue, screws and patience.

They've enjoyed watching TV in the outdoor kitchen and I suggested we automate a drop down TV in the ceiling of this new structure. I shopped around for a flip down powered mount but couldn't find one for less than $7K (which didn't work dimensionally anyway). I opted to fabricate a lift from linear actuators. Some photos of our progress--with the lift in place sans the TV. View attachment 541349 View attachment 541350 View attachment 541351 View attachment 541352 View attachment 541353 View attachment 541354

They've enjoyed watching TV in the outdoor kitchen and I suggested we automate a drop down TV in the ceiling of this new structure. I shopped around for a flip down powered mount but couldn't find one for less than $7K (which didn't work dimensionally anyway). I opted to fabricate a lift from linear actuators. Some photos of our progress--with the lift in place sans the TV. View attachment 541349 View attachment 541350 View attachment 541351 View attachment 541352 View attachment 541353 View attachment 541354
Not easily impressed.....until today.

Outstanding!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts