Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have two books and a clipboard in my truck.

One book is for logging daily hours per job with description of what was done(short hand). I keep all my hours/material $ on the right side. I circle them as they are billed.

The other book is for estimates, notes and customer info.

Clipboard is for all receipts and loose papers that pop up.

Train yourself to write everything down. Sometimes I'm tired and don't do it. And trying to remember or 2 days later can be a ***** sometimes. Luckily, I can look back at my phone/text log and see where and who I talked to. :no: :whistling

Good luck

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Google calendar, evernote and dropbox. It has taken some time to get used to it but I finally got another tablet, this time with 4g, and it has made a huge difference.

We began subbing a lot more for one company. For those projects I have a single binder with all of the current projects in it. A cover sheet for each, and a folder/pocket/envelope thingy for receipts. When its time to invoice I go to the binder, pull out the paperwork and receipts, scan the receipts, and file it all away. I also have a sliding folder for important documents and paperwork needed for them

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like to see your sheet TNT. and Dan I wish I could get as organized as you. I'm overwhelmed with this problem. I have 3 to 4 jobs going at 1 time right now around 11 on the schedule to do. People calling while I'm driving down the road. Employees calling needing msc. Materials delivered. It's very agrovating to keep all this going

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Like to see your sheet TNT. and Dan I wish I could get as organized as you. I'm overwhelmed with this problem. I have 3 to 4 jobs going at 1 time right now around 11 on the schedule to do. People calling while I'm driving down the road. Employees calling needing msc. Materials delivered. It's very agrovating to keep all this going
Good problem to have.

I also print out my week and month on Google and have it with me. At the end of the night if I made changes to it I update it online.

I also found it handy, when making entries, if I put their address in as well as their contact info, it comes in handy. Not only that day but if I ever misplace or forget their folder I at least have some basic contact info.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Take the time now before it gets out of control. There is a system for everyone.

Are you a one man show? There are four of us, so I am able to take the time every once in a while to organize while work is still being done in the field.

The time I spend getting set up and staying on top of things is well worth it. Missed calls, forgetting to do an estimate or call back a potential client, or losing a receipt that needs to be submitted with an invoice all get very expensive. In the end it saves a lot of time, stress and money.

Other than large projects and the projects for this ...GC... I am mostly paperless. I don't even bring in paper to meetings anymore. All done on the tablet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.