Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Don, I use an older model of a Dell Latitude CPi
Check this thread and scroll down to see the specs on it. And the laptop is still for sale.

For the printer, I use an HP450wbt . Comes with Bluetooth connectivity and a battery. I bought it over a year ago, and have only charged the battery once. A tip, the ink cartridges are expensive, I don't have any color in anything I print on site, to save $$$ on color cartridges.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ProWallGuy said:
Don, I use an older model of a Dell Latitude CPi
Check this thread and scroll down to see the specs on it. And the laptop is still for sale.

For the printer, I use an HP450wbt . Comes with Bluetooth connectivity and a battery. I bought it over a year ago, and have only charged the battery once. A tip, the ink cartridges are expensive, I don't have any color in anything I print on site, to save $$$ on color cartridges.
Kev,
I'm kinda clueless to this mobile office stuff, so let me ask is 5.6 gig HD large enough to store my docs. on basicly all I have are my estimate docs...things like that. Also, with the Ben Moore Personal Color Viewer, is this a software that pulls up a "template room" that I can show potential customers what the color would look like on their walls, with the trim color as well. Does this software do interior and exterior?

I dont need anything fancy, just looking for something stable thats inexpensive. Also, does it have a USB port as I have a "memory pen" with all my before and after shots etc...?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all..

Hey Don, goto www.newegg.com
The best wholesale prices you can find for computers and components.

The best laptop on the market for the money is from Acer.

Peace

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
electro said:
Don
I know you were looking for something on the inexpensive side, but I must recommend the new PACER program from the PDCA. It is an all inclusive package. It comes with a tablet pc computer, wireless printer and all the software you need as a painting contractor.

Good luck,

Brian
Your Cost Center
Brian,
That's really nice, does this have the software needed for allowing the customer to "picture" an interior/exterior with a color they like...do you use this program, can I ask what your monthly payments are?

6K is pricey, but that really intrigues me

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Don't know Kev, I'm Tim.
is 5.6 gig HD large enough to store my docs
Way plenty.
is this a software that pulls up a "template room" that I can show potential customers what the color would look like on their walls, with the trim color as well
Yes, it also allows you to upload pics you take on site to use, so they see their actual room with the colors. Yes, it does exterior too.
does it have a USB port
Yep.

Don't know what is all included with the PAcer program, but 6k :eek: :eek: :eek:

I could probably find all the components and software for half that price, depending on what all is included. The integrated camera deal looks pretty sweet though.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Don there are more forums than just the painting forum. Alot of what you ask you are placing in the painting forum and they should be in other forums. This one for example has very little to do with painting other than the fact that you are a painter.

I use the Canon/Hp printer. It's quick and good quality. It retails for $250. I have a compaq tablet pc, which is like a laptop but with a few extra bells and whistles, like hand writing recognition and removal from the keywoard to be used as a clip board. The computer has a whopping 20 GB, which is amazing for how small it is.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don there are more forums than just the painting forum. Alot of what you ask you are placing in the painting forum and they should be in other forums. This one for example has very little to do with painting other than the fact that you are a painter.
I am a paint contractor looking for how other painting contractors have their mobile office set up. What better forum to do that other than the paint contractors forum? I see that there's a computer forum, which I thought about posting in, but it's not really a computer/tech question I had, it's more of a paint contractor specific question I had.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know Kev, I'm Tim.
Sorry for the brain fart. And yes, 6K is a tad more than what I want to pay right now. I basiclly am looking for something I can write etimates/contracts on site as well as show folks what their house can look like with a certain color on it. The lighter in my van doesnt work, so I guess battery life would be a big consideration as well. Also I suppose I would need a printer that works off a battery.

Like I said I'm illiterate when it comes to the mobile side of things. Tim shoot me a PM so I can get a price from ya on that laptop.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
donb1959 said:
I am a paint contractor looking for how other painting contractors have their mobile office set up.
I actually anticipated that answer. Not suprising.

Just and FYI, there are more contractors here than just painters. Some of us even have the same problems that painters sometimes come across, like which mobile office to buy. I think you will have better results in your questions when asked to a broader audience in the properly targeted topic.

I'm not trying to be an A-Hole, just trying to keep the forum organized.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grumpy said:
I actually anticipated that answer. Not suprising.

Just and FYI, there are more contractors here than just painters. Some of us even have the same problems that painters sometimes come across, like which mobile office to buy. I think you will have better results in your questions when asked to a broader audience in the properly targeted topic.

I'm not trying to be an A-Hole, just trying to keep the forum organized.
I appreciate that...but where would I post this specific question to?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don,
First, you don't need to spend 6k on the PACER program, you don't need to buy all the bells and whistles. But let me give you my thoughts on buying the right system. 1st I run a medium size commercial painting company. I also own a software company, so I hope between the 2 I can give you advice. Buying your first system or any system for that manner requires a complete evaluation of your needs. There is nothing worse than spending money and then not using it because of: learning curve that doesn't match your time frame. Features that are not fitting your needs, and which in the long run turns you off to the product.
I run software in my office that I spent years developing and which is custom tailored to my companies needs. If you were a commercial painter it would be a great match. But not a residential painter. Likewise when you buy software off the shelf, It will have the same matching issues. The beauty of the PACER program, should be that it is designed specifically for the painting arena.
I personally do not use it. It is so new I'm not sure it even shipped yet. I'm being told that one of the components or added features will be one of my software companies product. I do know this, when the PACER program ships it will be the best all around turnkey package for the painting industry.
Feel free to contact me anytime and I can help you further.

Good luck,
Brian
http://www.drucksinc.com/

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
donb1959 said:
I appreciate that...but where would I post this specific question to?
As I had previously suggested, perhaps the computer forum, or the general conversation forum.

If you do a forum search you might also find a few related subjects abouyt mobile offices and mobile computing with some helpful info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like this thread in the painting forum because i've been venturing into painting (im a pressure washer) and want to know how painters are setup to give estimates on the road.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use an old IBM PowerBook, as it sits in the truck all the time under the hot sun to the well below freezing winter. It does get a little slow in the winter but it seem to work fine.
I bought it used from a computer store, the kid there ask me what I was going to do with it and set me up.
He set up the power book with a cable that runs from the 12 ac in the truck, then again gave me another power cord for the Epson printer that runs from the truck 12 vlt ac.
He even set up the swing arm for the set up, and installed it for me.

I think I paid about 3 or 4 hundred for the whole thing, and it works get for invoicing and estimates.

BJD

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I like IBMs too BJD. The t series has one of the best looking displays. However IBM has designed some pretty nasty tricks on taking them apart, the power boards seem to go out alot as well as the hibernation switch.

I still like the slim design. I've got a t20 downstairs I'm working on now.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts