Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone, So i came across a job for a customer that lives in a mobile home and i'm a little bit in the dark area about this. So here is the idea she want to put new skirting around her mobile home with some sort of material that wont rot due to the fact she also wants to put raised 6x6 flower beds what whould you recommend for a water barrier as well as some possible idea on the construction thanks alot

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
capecarpentry said:
Hi to everyone, So i came across a job for a customer that lives in a mobile home and i'm a little bit in the dark area about this. So here is the idea she want to put new skirting around her mobile home with some sort of material that wont rot due to the fact she also wants to put raised 6x6 flower beds what whould you recommend for a water barrier as well as some possible idea on the construction thanks alot
Where does she want to put the flower beds? Hanging off the skirting?

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I just priced one for a guy, he bugged me the whole time I was working on my buddies trailer .

I gave him a price and never heard from him again.

I've done quite a few with p/t plywood and a 2x frame. It holds up to weed wavers better than vinyl.

I priced wood and metal this time metal was cheaper !!

Don't waste a lot of time because some can't afford too pay so they are just shopping!!

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
That guy finally got back too me, after weeks mind you.

He wants it slapped together so he can focus on other area that need work,

I never got back too him my buddy says he was talking too my competition I said thank God

·
Registered
2 Posts
Morning everyone :)

Use treated plywood, with 24" OC uprights (maybe 16") , extending this stability just beyond the flower-box area to the left and right of the area behind for support.

Since I am certain the skirting is above ground**, you may need a treated 2x4 base plate for the 1) on dirt or 2) on concrete for the uprights to sit on. Apply the treated plywood skirting face. Then build your flower boxes in front of the treated plywood, making sure the boxes are well-built and sturdy.

The uprights should be treated if the treated base plate is on dirt- (Earth-to-wood )

you might be able to get away with regular 2x4s for uprights behind the treated plywood skirting, if the treated base plate will be on concrete, such as perimeter stringers previously poured .. running linear around the home perimeter.
**Check your codes, for a smidge more $$, you and the customer will have the assurance of all-treated plywood-uprights-baseplate
vs
regular uprights that may start to rot in 15 years or so.

If on dirt, do some simple gardenfork leveling, adhering to trying to keep the dirt as close to reasonably level as possible, prior to putting down your baseplate.

PS MorningWood, that is the type of comments that keep putting down those who have had to live economically in "MOBILE HOMES or MFD.Homes". Luck has not been their friend. However the past several years, many who lost their nice homes on the hill with the economy, have been very satisfied with an older mobile they can move right into it and fix up.

A "trailer" is a travel trailer, or something you fill with tree cuttings to the dump.

~*~*~*~*~
**The pitset generally has treated plywood skirting in front of the treated uprights, so the flower boxes would already have a good solid not-rotting "foundation" (est. 30 yr.) to build against.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts