Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
GC
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the skirting on a mobile home after I level it. It looks like I'll be using vinyl unless someone tells me why I shouldn't. Any tips or tricks I should know about? It will be a year or so before I get paid for the work, so I'd like to keep the budget tight, as I also have to replace all of the flooring, a few doors, and a complete interior and exterior paint job.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
Vinyl soffit works well. As mentioned above, make sure to allow for ventilation, or you'll be working on those floors again in 3-4 years.

Not a bad idea to run a wooden trim board along the bottom of the vinyl to protect it from string trimmers.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Vinyl soffit works well. As mentioned above, make sure to allow for ventilation, or you'll be working on those floors again in 3-4 years.

Not a bad idea to run a wooden trim board along the bottom of the vinyl to protect it from string trimmers.
That would probably be a good ideal , but think I would use a PVC board, would last the long haul. Nothing to rot out.

·
Registered
GC
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the stuff I'm looking at. Mobile Home Skirting Panels | Trailer House Underpinning | Skirting Kits for Manufactured Housing

Vinyl or PVC seem like the only sensible options. Right now it's some sort of Masonite siding and has failed. The place was "professionally" leveled about a year back, the center is an inch higher than the perimeter, and a bunch of the skirt pulled lose at that time. Most everything that's ever been done on this place is hack work.
I'm repairing everything so the owner can sell it. It's my MIL's place so I may or may not ever get paid for the work. I'll never ask her for a cent. I need to do it inexpensively, but it also has to be done right as I don't want the next old couple that buy's to be surprised by expensive repairs.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
....Not a bad idea to run a wooden trim board along the bottom of the vinyl to protect it from string trimmers.
Or lay down a strip of roofing shingle starter. That prevents the need for string trimmers altogether.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
This is the stuff I'm looking at. Mobile Home Skirting Panels | Trailer House Underpinning | Skirting Kits for Manufactured Housing

Vinyl or PVC seem like the only sensible options. Right now it's some sort of Masonite siding and has failed. The place was "professionally" leveled about a year back, the center is an inch higher than the perimeter, and a bunch of the skirt pulled lose at that time. Most everything that's ever been done on this place is hack work.
I'm repairing everything so the owner can sell it. It's my MIL's place so I may or may not ever get paid for the work. I'll never ask her for a cent. I need to do it inexpensively, but it also has to be done right as I don't want the next old couple that buy's to be surprised by expensive repairs.
You know what they say about good deeds and being punished...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
That would probably be a good ideal , but think I would use a PVC board, would last the long haul. Nothing to rot out.
Good point; I was trying to keep it budget-friendly. Not sure just where you'd land between the cost of color-matched PVC and painted PT with occasional replacement over time.

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
if you're doing it on a budget and may not get paid, couple of J-channel's and vinyl (siding) soffit. think there's a profile with 4" vented, and (2) 4" sections solid. I wouldn't want too much venting, it's vinyl siding and is going to allow plenty of airflow as is and if you're in a cold climate that can set you up for freezing pipes not to mention a cold floor.

·
Registered
GC
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you're doing it on a budget and may not get paid, couple of J-channel's and vinyl (siding) soffit. think there's a profile with 4" vented, and (2) 4" sections solid. I wouldn't want too much venting, it's vinyl siding and is going to allow plenty of airflow as is and if you're in a cold climate that can set you up for freezing pipes not to mention a cold floor.
Freezing isn't an issue. Occasional frost is worst we get around here.
I'm not worried about the money aspect. It's likely she'll simply give me whatever she sells the place for, or she may decide to spend it on hookers and blow. Doesn't affect what I do to get the place saleable.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
If i was doing it I would use the vinyl siding foundation vents the make. Those can be open or closed as needed. To me using vented soffit panels would look a little odd.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
It is pretty standard around here to use vented soffit.

Using the regular vents means more framing. But it would be a good solution.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts