Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

301 - 320 of 338 Posts

·
sodablaster dude
54 Posts
I think we never gonna get explanations where's the technical difference on behalf of geo/farrow, etc.

Otherwise that's like the American Chopper, who's better, dad or son? Never ending story...

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah gotta keep it secret to sell a $2000 pot for $16,000 plus takes away the mystique of it, post some vids showing how great it is.

there was a video on YouTube by DB showing stripe removal in a parking garage I commented on it a few months ago asking to show the
DB on real world stripes that are multi layer thick with epoxy paint vs the one they made the stripes were very thin paint one layer almost wore off easy to remove, they disabled all comments removed my question

make a closed pot use a 5000 psi pressure wash pump to pressurize it and valves to control pressure there's your wet blaster

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey Guys, On the difference between Farrow and GeoBlaster they are very similar on how they move and mix media.

Farrow was the first to take an old concept (Wet Abrasive blasting... Been around since the 1940s) and reinvented it and marketed it here in the United States... Actually Nigel Farrow worked for a company in Great Britain that marketed wet abrasive blasting equipment before he started Farrow Systems

I'm not sure on all the facts but from what I was told Nigel made a couple of changes to that Green Machine (Biggest one being a heat exchanger to heat the water) as well as how the media flowed in the control panel and started Farrow Systems.

In North America Farrow had a couple of distributors One in Virginia Beach Virginia, Now EcoQuip and another In Ontario Canada Now GeoBlaster.

When Farrow Systems moved their headquarter from England to West Chester PA Nigil took all North Amercan distribution in house and the people in Virginia stated EcoQuip and built their version of a wet abrasive blasting system and the people in Ontario Canada started GeoBlaster and started building their version of a wet abrasive blasting system.

Differences between the Farrow, EcoQuip and GeoBlaster.

All three manufactures (Farrow System, EcoQuip and Geoblaster) use a Wiwa fluid pump to pressurize the water that pressurizes the blast pot (Which means they can go has high as 150 psi in the blast pot to better push the blast media into the air line used for blasting.. there is no air in the pot they all use a water pressurized pot.... Dustless Blaster uses Air from the compressor and can only pressurize the pot with air to whatever the max pressure that the compressor produces.... (maybe that's changed?)

Farrow System: Take a walk around the control panel and blast pot and it's pretty straight forward with control for air pressure, water pressure, water flow, media flow and wash down. Open the Farrow control panel and it's full of air and water lines as well as media blast valves. The big thing is it just has a lot of proprietary hoses and valves that you can pretty much buy only from Farrow. Fire it up and it's pretty simple to use to blow air, wet media or just water and you can fine tune and control everything from outside the control box.... so you can make the media as dry or as wet as you'd like by just adding more water where the media comes out of the blast pot.

EcoQuip: Take a walk around the control panel and blast pot again and it's pretty straight forward with control for air pressure, water pressure, water flow, media flow and wash down. Open the EcoQuip control panel and it's full of air and water lines just like the Farrow System as well as all the media blast valves. Again it has a lot of proprietary hoses and valves that you can pretty much buy only from EcoQuipt. Fire it up and it's pretty simple to use and blow air, wet media or just water and you can fine tune and control everything from outside the control box... very similar to the Farrow, just a lot more hose and valves as well as a lot of stainless steel and again .... you can make the media as dry or as wet as you'd like by just adding more water where the media comes out of the blast pot.

GeoBlaster: Again take a walk around the control panel and blast pot and it's pretty straight forward with control for air pressure, water pressure, water flow, media flow and wash down. Open the GeoBlast control panel and your jaw just drops! there's 1/3 less air and water lines still same amount of media valves... but everything is simple and easy to figure out should something break in the field The path of the main air line is simple and direct, The big difference is all the hoses and control valves are easily available from any blasting supply houses or even Fastenel or Granger... so should something break you can get it fast and cheep. Fire it up and again it's pretty simple to use and blow air, wet media or just water and you can fine tune and control everything from outside the control box.... the big thing is it just flows better and is sett up right from the get go for production with a 2" air line connector so you can get maximum air from a BIGGER compressor (300 CRM vs a 185CFM) and again .... you can make the media as dry or as wet as you'd like by just adding more water where the media comes out of the blast pot.

Dustless Blaster It's just a reconfigured soda blasting pot that you fill up with water and pump wet media. As far as media control goes it's pretty simple pull the trigger and blast... turn the knob to increase media flow or decrease media flow, but fine tuning doesn't exist and if you want to really cut something you're going to do it with a LOT OF MEDIA and have a huge mess to clean up afterwards.

The real benefit with wet abrasive blasting is you can go into situations where dust and tenting are not options, with some of the above listed wet abrasive systems you can get similar production as with a dry blasting system using the same CFM and not have to deal with the tenting and negative air handing that you'd have to use with a dry blasting system. Most of the time when I'm wet abrasive blasting you'd have to look real heard to see any media or paint dust in the air where we're doing the blasting.

That alone say something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like your just not reading the info in front of your face.... They will all do the same job but the difference is in cost of operating and medium and water used which translates to less clean up which translates to less hours..... Which all adds up to saving the operator $ in the long run which is what makes small businesses stay afloat.....

·
Todd
848 Posts
I was specifically picking cars as the scope of work that in my opinion wet/dustless blasting is a poor idea. The most generic car we can pick as an example: 1965 mustang. Cutting rockers off and quarters isn't an option because it's a dry clean example...the car is stripped to its rawest form. You only have a wet/dustless blaster. What do you do??? Oh I'll throw another snag in the mix...customer doesn't have a rotiseerrie and wants it shot on a roll around body dolly and YOU are NOT doing the body work...it is just at your location to get stripped. How do you get the abrasive that you stripped the car with out of the areas that it finds its way Into? Maybe strip it and ship it? Well I strip cars like its my job to do the next step and help my clients successfully get there.

Some people will never think the details all the way through even when they have run a media blasting business for ten or more years...some people just do not care. I am on the other hand not that guy. My reputation and my abilities to help someone be successful matter. I think my growing customer base is proof of that.

I specifically also have in the past said I will eventually own a machine of some sort but it will not be a dustless/green. Probably what ever pops up for sale at the right time of the job that it's needed for.

I always tell the person I am working for that we can surely blast wet or dry and then follow through with all of the idiosyncrasies of each. We stripped an entire building wet recently and it went smooth and exactly how you would expect. The cleanup aspect was handled by us and doing it dry was not an option. BUT...I shot it with soda and the wet was more attractive to me and the downtown that we did it in.

We all need to market our business's any way we see fit to grow and continue to support our families. I am glad some of us on here get it...and the ones that don't well, we will continue to try and help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was specifically picking cars as the scope of work that in my opinion wet/dustless blasting is a poor idea. The most generic car we can pick as an example: 1965 mustang. Cutting rockers off and quarters isn't an option because it's a dry clean example...the car is stripped to its rawest form. You only have a wet/dustless blaster. What do you do??? Oh I'll throw another snag in the mix...customer doesn't have a rotiseerrie and wants it shot on a roll around body dolly and YOU are NOT doing the body work...it is just at your location to get stripped. How do you get the abrasive that you stripped the car with out of the areas that it finds its way Into? Maybe strip it and ship it? Well I strip cars like its my job to do the next step and help my clients successfully get there.

Some people will never think the details all the way through even when they have run a media blasting business for ten or more years...some people just do not care. I am on the other hand not that guy. My reputation and my abilities to help someone be successful matter. I think my growing customer base is proof of that.

I specifically also have in the past said I will eventually own a machine of some sort but it will not be a dustless/green. Probably what ever pops up for sale at the right time of the job that it's needed for.

I always tell the person I am working for that we can surely blast wet or dry and then follow through with all of the idiosyncrasies of each. We stripped an entire building wet recently and it went smooth and exactly how you would expect. The cleanup aspect was handled by us and doing it dry was not an option. BUT...I shot it with soda and the wet was more attractive to me and the downtown that we did it in.

We all need to market our business's any way we see fit to grow and continue to support our families. I am glad some of us on here get it...and the ones that don't well, we will continue to try and help.
Being that we know first hand what it's like to not have a car stripped correctly or being the ones to correct the mistakes, we take quality service and customer service very seriously! Customer is our #1 priority and we complete every job with the thought of making it easier on them in the long run. Most of our advertising is by word of mouth and that doesn't work at all if they're not happy! Also you are aware that the Geo can do dry when moisture is a concern.... Just cut the water off..

·
Todd
848 Posts
Being that we know first hand what it's like to not have a car stripped correctly or being the ones to correct the mistakes, we take quality service and customer service very seriously! Customer is our #1 priority and we complete every job with the thought of making it easier on them in the long run. Most of our advertising is by word of mouth and that doesn't work at all if they're not happy! Also you are aware that the Geo can do dry when moisture is a concern.... Just cut the water off..
I guess I was was stuck on the fact that you had in the past said you own a automotive repair shop and missed countless opportunities and that is the scope of work I was discussing. Lots to be interpreted usually on the interwebs but I am pretty good at staying in one rut. Yes, I know you can turn off the water on a geo/Eco machine. In my opinion cars and water do not mix so therefore I was...awe heck with it...buy the bigger unit and when it's not working out for cars send me a pm...I'll buy it for .30 on the dollar.

J/k man carry on.

·
Bob
512 Posts
I shoot both dry and wet, Farrow and Surfacetek are my pots. I don't do cars but I wouldn't do them wet if I did for the reasons cited (wet sand stuck in corners and the flash rust factor).

I mainly strip bottom paint from boats and you can't really beat a good wet system for that. Mainly to satisfy the yard manager who doesn't want old bottom paint blowing around onto other client boats but a wet system cuts the thick and sometimes gooey bottom paints much faster and cleaner than dry. Hey, its my main client base and wet makes it happen for me. And the Farrow makes it easy to get the right mix of air/media and water so I use a minimum of grit and the ground ends up barely wet under the boat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
how much water are u using per minute in your geo/farrow blasters?
For me, it varies depending on what I'm blasting. Heavy steel pipe like I just finished, I opened the dose valve about 1/8 of a turn and used around 10-12 gallons per hour. On wood, I'll open the dose valve around 1/2-3/4 turn and use 20-30 gallons per hour. If I'm doing a lot of washing down and rinsing, I can blow thru 80 gal. in 1 1/2-2 hours. It all depends on what YOU WANT. With the Geo, it's all up to you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I shoot both dry and wet, Farrow and Surfacetek are my pots. I don't do cars but I wouldn't do them wet if I did for the reasons cited (wet sand stuck in corners and the flash rust factor).

I mainly strip bottom paint from boats and you can't really beat a good wet system for that. Mainly to satisfy the yard manager who doesn't want old bottom paint blowing around onto other client boats but a wet system cuts the thick and sometimes gooey bottom paints much faster and cleaner than dry. Hey, its my main client base and wet makes it happen for me. And the Farrow makes it easy to get the right mix of air/media and water so I use a minimum of grit and the ground ends up barely wet under the boat.
Bob, same here!... When blasting cars I use to do them wet, but wet glass/media and paint MUD stuck in all the corners and seams is not a clean way to blast a car that's going to get primered and painted afterwords, and the clean-up takes way to long to make it worth to blast wet.

Dustless Blasters runs TV Ads and Print Ads touting how easy, clean and how much money you can make blasting cars with their system... personally it's crazy when you consider the supplies to blast a car wet including $100 to $200 for 5 gallons of Hold Blast or Hold tight. As well as all time pressure washing the car afterwords... and you still have MUD afterwords inside the car.

I do cars for higher end guys and I blast those DRY with fine recycled glass or walnut shells... when I'm done I just blow it out and it's ready for primer.

Wet abrasive blasting has its space, but blasting cars isn't one of them.

JustSayen.

·
sodablaster dude
54 Posts
Why HoldTight? Why 100-200$ for a one car? You dilute it 1:50 or 1:100.
To be honest, when you gonna use proper glass size, then you not even scratch zinc on a steel. So HoldTight is useless.

Moreover, comparing to what you said of water use, in DB/SB I use 0.15-0.3 gallon per minute. So in worse case scenario it's not more than +20% you're using in your geo/farrow blasters. Water inside pot or connected to WIN nozzle or Wet Head Adapter. Last option, the best one.

I can tell that Geo/Farrow is much better if you want to blast graffiti or brick and leave surface smooth. In those conditions DB/SB is losing, why? Because of WIMA pump and water compression in Geo/Farrow it's easier to regulate low blasting pressure, starting as you said 0.1 bar which is impossible at MMLJ blasters because of air low efficiency for settings.

That's just my opinion. Of course, I would like to have one genuine wet blaster at my warehouse.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why HoldTight? Why 100-200$ for a one car? You dilute it 1:50 or 1:100.
To be honest, when you gonna use proper glass size, then you not even scratch zinc on a steel. So HoldTight is useless.

Moreover, comparing to what you said of water use, in DB/SB I use 0.15-0.3 gallon per minute. So in worse case scenario it's not more than +20% you're using in your geo/farrow blasters. Water inside pot or connected to WIN nozzle or Wet Head Adapter. Last option, the best one.

I can tell that Geo/Farrow is much better if you want to blast graffiti or brick and leave surface smooth. In those conditions DB/SB is losing, why? Because of WIMA pump and water compression in Geo/Farrow it's easier to regulate low blasting pressure, starting as you said 0.1 bar which is impossible at MMLJ blasters because of air low efficiency for settings.

That's just my opinion. Of course, I would like to have one genuine wet blaster at my warehouse.
Hey Chuck,

I don't like mixing small batches of Hold tight for small projects like cars... and prefer getting them done fast and clean... (Which is why I blast cars dry) usually when I blast dry and I know the car is going to sit a while with out primer I'll coat it with a landscape water bottle sprayer and hold tight or hold blast.

When I'm wet abrasive blasting large metal things like steel beams or tanks I'll mix up a large tank of water with Hold tight or hold blast and use that while blasting and pressure washing wash down.

One thing about both Hold Tight and hold blast is that once mixed you can't store it for long because after a week or so it mixed with water it just becomes weak or doesn't work at all.

Like I said I do a lot of wet abrasive blasting and I also do a lot of Dry Abrasive blasting.... I've seen this recent influx of new guys who run out and buy dustless blasters because they saw the TV ads running in the car show telling them about all the work they're going to get.

I know of over 10 different guys just here in New Jersey who bought Dustless blasters thinking they were going to grow a business a boat or car blasting business and only ONE is still blasting after two years... the others have all disappeared or gone out of business along with their websites.

As most know people who blast will tell you blasting is a tough way to make a living.... business doesn't just fall into your lap, you have top prove you know what your doing and your clean.

I think if I was going to start a new business with my lifesavings I'd invest it into something else than a blasting business.

Actually I wouldn't invest in blasting at all knowing what I know now.

JustSayen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so this forum which started over 3 years ago, has now gone dead?? I have read all the post and I'm almost thinking about NOT starting up my own business now after reading all of the post. I like the mobile idea. I have talked with a few actual owners of the Dustless Blasting units and from the discussions, they were not as displeased as people on this forum make it sound. I now have more information and will go back and talk with them more and be able to ask different questions though also.

I'm just kind of wondering why this thread has just died after such a long running.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Probably because everyone is very busy and just don't have time to post as much on here now. I lurk at times, but with my new position, most times I just do not have the time to get into a deep discussion. I have to fly in the morning for AWWA conference. It's the busy time of the year for most people now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I understand that part of being the busy time of year. It's that way with my current job (if I wouldn't be recovering from surgery right now) also. I'm just finding it interesting that it had been over a year since the last post.

I'm going to be taking a bit longer and looking more at the opportunity of starting my own business now though. More research and talking with a few more people.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
There is a group on Facebook going on, Dustless Blaster's
Most seem happy with there system, seen some talk about they blast dry with there's cause of the mess, and few asking about what to buy for a dry pot.
Most the guys are new to the business.
And few have some things to say about selling there stuff .
It's all over the place, but they let me join and I'm a dry blaster with a win nozzle. I leark on there to see what's up. Lol

301 - 320 of 338 Posts