Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

241 - 260 of 338 Posts

·
Always 1st yr apprentice
71 Posts
I have been using a no5 double venturi on panels with glass both wet and dry, with the water dialed right down or dry I am actually looking to go up to a no6, it should drop pressure a little which is not a bad thing and hopefully speed things up a little. I like the double venturi as it 'seems' to soften the fan a little and definatley gets more spread.

·
Registered
558 Posts
About 5 of us on this site should have marketed a system solely on blasting autos with glass give the clients a machine some instructions and away they go. Could have been a profitable franchise type business.
Wait some one has done it all ready MMJ. :whistling
MMJ here in OZ had never herd of glass as an abrasive being used through their machines they were marketed as a soda pot I was the first here to do it.
Now it is a major marketing tool for their pots where is my money MMJ. LOL:laughing:
Actually I think there was only 2 other blasters in the country using glass on auto steel for a couple of years before the trend took off.
I wonder if all of us original blasting members have started the trend just by the info on this site.

Reactions: Dyer

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I want my cut too $$$$

I first heard of glass when I worked at the ship yard, non of the 30 year vets down there had ever seen it before
For them it was a new product and I got to be on the team to try it, along with sponge, garnet, dry ice, steel shot (which was the main media for them) soda and of course black beauty witch was being faded out

When I left to go on my own only one dealer in Maine was selling glass for cabinet blast, I was the first one to buy in bulk, now there looking at adding a delivery truck just to deliver it because its the replacement for the black beauty. Maine DEP has really pushed for the coal slag to be gone in the last 10 years and guys have had a hard time selling it.

Funny how a change can take place so quickly.

Internet is the buggiest way for word to spread, if it was 20 years ago we would all be blasting with rocks. Ha ha lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stumbled across this thread by accident while researching the MMLJ dustless system. I think after reading all 13 pages I am more confused. I thought about buying a system to supplement my current business, since they can be used to remove sealer from concrete and graffiti from concrete. I turn down a lot of re-seal jobs just because I do not own the right equipment to remove the old sealer, and I can not stand to chemically strip sealers off of driveways and patios. I do own my own compressors due to the fact that we do a lot of break out, so I would not need to purchase that. I just dont really know what to go with since this would be something that is not my primary income and would only be used 1-2 times a month is the Geoblast really worth the extra money for a situation like mine?

·
Always 1st yr apprentice
71 Posts
Buy a good quality second hand dry pot with a quality metering valve and a win nozzle. If you can get a second hand mmj pot cheap there are things you can do to make them more efficient but honestly dont waste your money on one if you dont have to.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I stumbled across this thread by accident while researching the MMLJ dustless system. I think after reading all 13 pages I am more confused. I thought about buying a system to supplement my current business, since they can be used to remove sealer from concrete and graffiti from concrete. I turn down a lot of re-seal jobs just because I do not own the right equipment to remove the old sealer, and I can not stand to chemically strip sealers off of driveways and patios. I do own my own compressors due to the fact that we do a lot of break out, so I would not need to purchase that. I just dont really know what to go with since this would be something that is not my primary income and would only be used 1-2 times a month is the Geoblast really worth the extra money for a situation like mine?
ConcreteAce, I'm the guy who started media blasting stamped concrete sealer... I've done it both dry and wet. Some jobs I still do dry (Very Small Jobs) 250 sq feet or smaller where I'm in and out fast.

Anything larger is going to make a ton of dust blasting DRY and will get you in trouble with the department of health as well as with the DEP and EPA.

Wet abrasive blasting is the only way to go when open air blasting is being done in a commercial retail office and or residential environment.

This is what you're looking at media wise to blast 1000 square feet of stamped concrete:

1. Six to Seven 50 lbs. bags with the GeoBlaster

2. Eighteen to Twenty Four 50 lbs. bags dry blasting or dry blasting with Win nozzle.

3. Eighteen to Twenty Four 50 lbs. bags DB Dustless Blaster.

Keep in mind the mess factor and clean-up time and you'll understand why systems like the Geoblaster or (Farrow slower than Geo Blaster) are the only way to go... DB DUSTLESS IS JUNK!

Less mess = happier customers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the information MasterBlaster. I have read a lot about the GeoBlaster the past few days. Heck of a system. I was ready to drop 11K on the MMLJDB. Since it would not be my primary source of income I could swallow the 11K better than the 24k that the Geo cost. After reading what I have about the MMLJ system sounds like unless I where to drop the 24K on the GeoBlaster I would be wasting the 11K. Maybe I just need to stick to what I am good at :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Geo blast 400 Machine

I have a used Geo Blast 400 machine for sale. Located in Phoenix Az.

MACHINE IS SOLD. I want to thank the guys at GEO Blaster for there help and continued support. They build a great product and have been a huge help in the re-sale of my machine. These are really stand up guys and there commitment to give continued support to the buyer of my machine just shows that they stand behind their product. Thanks

·
Always 1st yr apprentice
71 Posts
Just posting an update as I haven't been on here in a while. Had quite a few runs on the modified pot now. Media consumption has dropped considerably, approx 1/3 to 1/2 the usage of before. Most of this is due to the different nozzle venturi.
The water injection system is awesome, 1/10th of the water usage, the saving in holdtite offsets the setup price alone. Love it. I only do outside of a car wet. Everythimg else is dry. Turned on and off at the flick of a switch.
Runs rings around the win nozzle I have

For the record I have a soda blast mljj pot. It can be converted to the " dustless blaster"... its very complicated. .... you dump water and glass in and go. Then pull your hair out as its joke. See my previous posts for a full write up.

Hope that answers the pms I have.

·
sodablaster dude
54 Posts
Just posting an update as I haven't been on here in a while. Had quite a few runs on the modified pot now. Media consumption has dropped considerably, approx 1/3 to 1/2 the usage of before. Most of this is due to the different nozzle venturi.
The water injection system is awesome, 1/10th of the water usage, the saving in holdtite offsets the setup price alone. Love it. I only do outside of a car wet. Everythimg else is dry. Turned on and off at the flick of a switch.
Runs rings around the win nozzle I have

For the record I have a soda blast mljj pot. It can be converted to the " dustless blaster"... its very complicated. .... you dump water and glass in and go. Then pull your hair out as its joke. See my previous posts for a full write up.

Hope that answers the pms I have.
str8jackets, there's no technical difference between dustless blasters and sodablasters from mmlj. Moreover, dustless blasters are simpler machines than second ones - mechanical blast hose on/off, no water separator or coolers.
So, basically I cannot understand where you catch those practical differences between them. Tell us. What modifications you made to get that progress?
Both machines can work on same nozzles.
I can agree that filling pot with water is less efficient than connecting water supply directly into nozzle like WIN or with adapter onto nozzle.

·
Always 1st yr apprentice
71 Posts
str8jackets, there's no technical difference between dustless blasters and sodablasters from mmlj. Moreover, dustless blasters are simpler machines than second ones - mechanical blast hose on/off, no water separator or coolers.
So, basically I cannot understand where you catch those practical differences between them. Tell us. What modifications you made to get that progress?
Both machines can work on same nozzles.
I can agree that filling pot with water is less efficient than connecting water supply directly into nozzle like WIN or with adapter onto nozzle.
When I say modded pot I mean modded by me, not converted from soda to dustless. I have added a dodgy deflector in the bottom of the pot out of desperation. Made some difference with
Fine glass dry blasting.
I pulled the nozzle venturi from the base of the pot and made a new one, it is less tapered and has a sort of throttle slot ground into it meter fine glass. Made a big difference. I only run the pot dry. In that respect the water seperator arrangement is a big help from the original soda blast setup.

I could not get any consistency with the "dustless" fill the pot with water scenario. Believe me I tried, watched the YouTube clips and scratched my head wondering how the @#$/ they made the mongrel thing work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know someone who is manufacturing his own DB pot after he bought a MMLJ pot for $15k they make all kinds of industrial equipment anyway so making this is no big deal, its Beta testing now. He thought the dustless blaster was way overpriced for what it is.

The different systems claiming less water, less media are a bunch of hype he says, it takes a certain amount of media to remove your coating unless you expect the air or water to remove it also so a pot that claims much less abrasive must have it dialed way down and is removing a 1/2 inch swath taking all day to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The post awhile back concerning the 40k water blaster not being able to profile is true to an extent but you can add a rotary nozzle that will inject any media in it with the UHP water and it will create a profile with less media usage than other systems and remove much faster than any of these wet blasters.

IMO get a WIN nozzle save your money they are in the business of selling expensive equipment and will gladly sell one to your neighbor giving you competition thats what they do.

There are a couple vids of Geo and Farrow removing parking lot striping on youtube its very slow compared for UHP 40k.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ROADOIL: I have no idea what a UHP water can do or not, but when your friend says it takes so much media per hour "period" to remove paint etc, I think that most users of Geo will say that their usage of media is minimal compared to what dry uses. Typically, I will use 120-150 lb of either crushed glass or even garnet per hour. It takes me approx. 2-2-1/2 hrs for let's say an exterior of a 55' Buick. To me that's not much media per hour or job. Our Geo can certianly remove parking lot lines, paint from cars, paint from brick, paint from wood, graffiti, rust removal, etc, etc, ... How does UHP 40K work on wood or brick?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wet blasting does use less media thats a fact compared to dry.

UHP will far surpass sandblasting wet or dry on brick and get into the pores cracks better, I wouldn't try it on wood.

Frankly I wouldn't compete against some guy with a $5000 sandblast rig set up vs my $200k pump, tools etc. on some brick job.

There was a contractor here in Vegas that used a dustless blaster on a parking garage for the airport here even though his system was supposedly dustless the garage was dirty and it blew dust debris everywhere all over the cars parked there creating angry customers not to mention painfully slow removal rates as it was multi layer thick. Sandblasting wet or dry is extremely slow on thermoplastic why bother.

·
Registered
11 Posts
where's GEO??

Hi everyone, my name is Tyler and Im new to contractortalk. I am currently looking to get into the wet abrasive business as myself and my brother both run automotive repair shops and have had countless needs for one over the pasttwoyears! I know this forum started awhile back but seems to still be somewhat active. My question is basically has anyone heard anything from or about Geo Blaster in the past year?? I have done a ton of research and was pretty sold on forking out the extra 10k for a Geo vs a Dustless but I have sent GEO multiple emails and called them and have received no response. However every time I reach out to Dustless they are quick to respond. I understand Dustless recently remarketed themselves and advertising has kicked into high gear but I still want the best machine not just the one with the biggest ad campaign!

·
Registered
53 Posts
King87.. Call Wade Hannon. His phone number is 1-403-990-9907. I've had a GEO for the last year and love it. Give Wade a call. I know that Geo-Blaster was sold to another company (the name escapes me) but last time I talked to Wade last month, he said that they were extremely busy. Call him direct. the above number is his pers. cell.
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks!

Awesome! Thanks guys I'll give him a call today! Yeah they became part of Graco. I addressed concerns with that in my email bit will discuss via phone as well.

241 - 260 of 338 Posts