Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

221 - 240 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guy's. I am new to this forum. This is the first pace I have found non bias information on the wet blasters. I am starting a media blasting business and have ordered a dustless db500. I was suppose to get it in 6 to 8 weeks and going on 10 weeks now. I already paid in full to. I'm really getting ticked off that they sold a db500 mobile to a guy 75 miles away from me that ordered after me and yet got it in 6 weeks. I guess my $11,500 wasn't as good as his $32,500!
I'd bet a testicle that Mine Mechanic guy was a part of MMLJ, total sell at all cost and lie to the customer is what I think of them so far.
I agree with master blaster, I wanted the Geo Blast GB400. Wade was great to talk to but the extra $10,000 was too much for me just starting out. I did go try the db500 and it worked well so I hope the complaints about the unit are just user error. Some guy's just can't figure things out!
My plan is to use the db500 until I get the business rolling and then get the GB400 and build a custom trailer. The mobile units are just not set up well and have no storage. Also that will be my down time job making these trailers and selling them. Hope to get the first one done this winter.
Can someone list the different media and job's used for?
And also the places to buy it? (name and number)
Thanks

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've read every post with interest. I'm about a year away from military retirement and have been strongly considering a portable blast rig as my post military career/side business. Your posts have been very insightful. I have been drooling over the MMJ systems, but I had no idea how much I didn't know.

Curiously is there another blog on this forum that purely addresses investment and profit margins? I'm not expecting to get wealthy, I'm just looking for a business with flexibile hours but yet profitable enough that it'll pay for itself in the long run. Part time work I guess you might call it. Any thoughts? I was actually looking at the DB500 or 800 on a trailer.

Thanks

·
Todd
848 Posts
Marketing has been kicked into high gear for the green machine...every week I get a person that either told me about the new DUSTLESS blasting method or a person telling me that they are thinking of trying the business out...

Buying a trailer with a compressor and a blast machine on it is just like saying your gonna buy the fryer that Chick Fil A uses to make their chicken sandwich and go into the restaurant business....folks, it doesn't work like that. You need a lot more of an investment than the green machine package...not even mentioning the marketing investment for your business to succeed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Marketing has been kicked into high gear for the green machine...every week I get a person that either told me about the new DUSTLESS blasting method or a person telling me that they are thinking of trying the business out...

Buying a trailer with a compressor and a blast machine on it is just like saying your gonna buy the fryer that Chick Fil A uses to make their chicken sandwich and go into the restaurant business....folks, it doesn't work like that. You need a lot more of an investment than the green machine package...not even mentioning the marketing investment for your business to succeed.
X2 on what Blastserve just posted above.

I've been doing this for a few years now and it wasn't easy in any means.

The first year in business you're going to have to prove you can do the work before you get the work... In other words EXPECT TO SHELL OUT A LOT OF CASH keeping the business up and running without much if any money coming in.

Since I've been in the blasting business I know 12 or 14 other guys in New Jersey who have gone out and bought a blasting rig.... and most all are now out of the business..... because they couldn't get enough business to keep things a float.

That's like 95% of the blasters who started a blasting business in the last 3 years who have all folded and gone out of business... What's worse is many of those barrowed money on their home and lost their homes when the business failed.

Out of all of them I'm the only NEW GUY still in business and believe me when I say it... I'm not getting rich and if I had it to do all over again I would have invested in something more stable than the blasting business which generates money only 9 months out of the year if you’re up in the north eastern part of the United States.

The point is the blasting business isn’t easy money, it’s hard messy work... If you’re going to invest in a blasting business you should really know what you’re getting into before you spend money on something when there’s a very good chance you’re going to be selling in a year from now for at .10 on a dollar.

PS and those DB blasters.... They’re JUNK... Everyone I know who bought one.... is out of business in less than a year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
for what its worth

I have to agree with several of the previous pots. Don't quit the day job just yet to start blasting full time. I am a MMLJ regular pot user, and it's an ok system. It gets the job done, don't get me wrong. I could convert my existing MMLJ system to a "green machine" by simply adding water to my pot. Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. Something about water and harden steel doesn't mix well with me. If I need "dustless" I will go WIN or even a water ring. The MMLJH/Sand Storm Pots are OK. Is there better? Sure, That's like saying there's only FORDS, No Chevy's.....It boils down to $$$ What can you afford, What do you want to learn on, who's going to support you, etc...That's just the start. Marketing is a whole other world of business that I see everyday in my day job. Having been in Paint/Coatings Sales for the last 20+years, I've seen many a "I'm a Painter, I can do my own thing" companies come and go. I think if I were to stand on my salesperson soap box for a bit, the biggest thing about blasting is having a complete understanding of what is truly involved. It's by no means a fun job. It's hard, dirty work. It takes true passion for what you are doing will help you succeed. Learning any new trade is not easy. But don't be fooled by "smoke and Mirrors" on the whole "dustless" turnkey operation. Ok, I will step off now... Anyway, As previous poster's have said, best of luck, happy blasting

·
Always 1st yr apprentice
71 Posts
I made a different nozzle for mine and made a huge difference to media usage and therefore the amount of mess. The injection set up I posted earlier also helped alot. Still a messy process but.

·
Registered
7 Posts
to all the Naysayers

i have read this thread at least 3 times since i was/am considering purchasing a MMLJ DB500. i visited the site in Houston, and was greeted warmly. Toured the entire manufacturing facility, got answers to all the questions /thoughts in this thread, and was given the opportunity to experiment with their dustless system until i was content. i blasted an entire car hood i brought that had 3 paint jobs on it, there was "maybe" 1 quart of water used. i dialed the water down to a bare mist while blasting a section of 10" pipe and there was literally no dust. so to all that have been critical of this system....i guess you'd have to try it for yourself. i do fine with my conventional pot and WIN nozzle, but when i do expand my business the MMLJ unit will be a consideration.

·
Registered
710 Posts
i have read this thread at least 3 times since i was/am considering purchasing a MMLJ DB500. i visited the site in Houston, and was greeted warmly. Toured the entire manufacturing facility, got answers to all the questions /thoughts in this thread, and was given the opportunity to experiment with their dustless system until i was content. i blasted an entire car hood i brought that had 3 paint jobs on it, there was "maybe" 1 quart of water used. i dialed the water down to a bare mist while blasting a section of 10" pipe and there was literally no dust. so to all that have been critical of this system....i guess you'd have to try it for yourself. i do fine with my conventional pot and WIN nozzle, but when i do expand my business the MMLJ unit will be a consideration.

Poncho72, You really need to try the GeoBlaster system, it uses a fraction of the media that the Sandstorm MMLJ DB500 uses... (Meaning a fraction of the mess)

Last week I was in a boat yard blasting a 46' Hunter Sailboat and my total media consumption with my GeoBlaster was 11 (50lbs) bags of 40-70 glass to take off both the ablative and the barrier coat leaving just clean gel-coat. (Total blasting time 5 Hours)

There was a guy blasting a smaller 36' sailboat in the same boat yard while I was blasting and he had a MMLJ Dustless blaster. He was already there 2 days before me and still had one more day of blasting... He came over to check on us and couldn't believe what we got done in 5 hours. He said that he had used close to 40 (50 lbs) bags of glass and still had more blasting to do while we were done and cleaning up.

Talk to GeoBlaster... their system is much cleaner, a lot faster and there's no comparison between the two systems... The MMLJ system is a converted dry pot.... while the other (GeoBlaster) is a purpose built wet abrasive blasting system that uses a fraction of the media and is much cleaner and a much faster process.

Yes the GeoBlaster cost more, but one system is going to make you money, while the other is going to put you out of business.

JustSayen like it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i can relate to and respect your expertise "Masterblaster". i have been blasting only 1 way for years, and i am ready to expand and go out on my own. i worked for my bro-in-law on the side when he got short-handed, and he only does municipal water systems (primarily elevated water tanks inside and out), so blasting other equipment and different medias is fairly new to me and i wanna learn more. to add to that i was more-so his technical/mechanical/rigging/fab guy more than blasting. i can see where the inexperienced can use up a lot of water AND media with the MMLJ system, so i asked during my demo how to "tune" the system to get the desired results and minimize waste. i understand your point to demo the Geoblaster before dropping big bucks (get the best for your dollar that'll give you the best service). my business is less than a year old, and i'm a car guy so primarily thats where i advertise. i have had moderate success with a halo, and i think i could do better with a WIN, so that'll be my next purchase. i have a question for anyone in the know, what size nozzle is best for use with a halo or water ring on body panels using bottle glass. right now i have a 185 Sullivan and (2) 200# Clemco pots. i'm close to retirement so in a few years this will be all i plan on doing....and i want to do it right since there is no mobile company within 200 miles of me and i am in the middle of the state.

·
Registered
558 Posts
How do you dial the water down when the whole lot is thrown in the pot.
Smells like MMJ to me.
Dry blasting the inside and out of a car is the only way grit is hard enough to get it all out I could only imagine how hard a slurry would be to clean out.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Just had a customer bring a car shell 3 1/2 hour each way to me because it was wet blasted and he did not like the look of it visually when it was done...he said you could just see the mess it had made.

When we stripped it (dry) the seams and areas where metal was overlapping had wet spots soaking up the dry dust from our process...you could see the moisture still in the car body. It had previously been metal worked so it was ready for epoxy but in order to prime it it needed lots of prep solve sprayed on the car to try and absorb into the wet spots to get it out.. Guy was thrilled with our work. He will be back...

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you dial the water down when the whole lot is thrown in the pot.
Smells like MMJ to me.
Dry blasting the inside and out of a car is the only way grit is hard enough to get it all out I could only imagine how hard a slurry would be to clean out.
by dialing down i mean all flow (media and water). air flow/pressure is adjustable too. i use a halo, and have a WIN nozzle on order. i would only blast the inside of a car on a rotissorie wet or dry. i have one for rent if the customer does'nt. i blasted a 68 firebird 2 days ago inside and out of all panels. after blasting i hooked my pressure washer to my pump driven 50 gallon tank with a mixture of 50:1 holdtight-102 and rinse/blasted all crevices as i rotated the car. the customer was very satisfied.
i suspect that Blastserv's client got a blaster that was more concerned about $ than service. my motto is "the job is finished when the customer is happy"

·
Registered
710 Posts
by dialing down i mean all flow (media and water). air flow/pressure is adjustable too. i use a halo, and have a WIN nozzle on order. i would only blast the inside of a car on a rotissorie wet or dry. i have one for rent if the customer does'nt. i blasted a 68 firebird 2 days ago inside and out of all panels. after blasting i hooked my pressure washer to my pump driven 50 gallon tank with a mixture of 50:1 holdtight-102 and rinse/blasted all crevices as i rotated the car. the customer was very satisfied.
i suspect that Blastserv's client got a blaster that was more concerned about $ than service. i motto is "the job is finished when the customer is happy"
Poncho... in all due respect I know first hand what wet abrasive blasting does to cars.... And I do cars with both wet abrasive blasting as well as dry abrasive blasting.... WET ABRASIVE ON LOCATION (because of dust issues)... and DRY ABRASIVE AT MY SHOP! (Where I do both interiors and exteriors)

ON LOCATION I only do EXTERIORS where all the glass is in.... Because blasting wet inside the car makes a total mess and takes hours to pressure wash out all the MUD you just introduced into the cabin of the car.... And believe me... there's no way you're going to get all the mud out of the inside of the car.

AT THE SHOP I blast dry and do both EXTERIORS and INTERIORS... because I can just blow everything out (with Air)... (NO MUD ISSUES INSIDE THE CAR)

Now the difference between the GeoBlaster and the MMLJ system is that the GeoBlaster only uses a fraction of the media TO DO THE SAME THING and makes a fraction of the mess that the MMLJ wet pot makes.... Meaning clean-up with the GeoBlaster takes 1/4 the time and 1/4 of the crap wet media to clean-up and haul back to the shop.

And like I said I blast both wet and dry and I know first hand the difference between the MMLJ and the GeoBlaster.

Those MMLJ pots make a huge mess and give wet abrasive blasting a bad name.

Just telling it like it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i do respect your judgement MasterBlaster, that's why i am looking into the Geoblaster system also (thanks). i don't like blasting the inside wet, but i am in the same situation in that in the field dust is an issue. i am only mobile, so i must make those decisions based on where i go to blast. i do have an easy-up tent if needed. i gave the 68 firebird owner a call back on Friday and asked him if all was OK. He took my advice, and put fans on the car overnight and he told me that with a little compressed air and a shop vac all is well. things are certainly different/easier if the car is on a rotissorie.
So i'm going to ask this question again.....what size nozzle and hose would best serve me with my 185 cfm compressor, using glass, on auto bodies, wet or dry? MasterBlaster? Aussie? Anybody?

221 - 240 of 338 Posts