Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK painter friends...a question:

I need to mix paint and "sand" together for safety purposes. I know I can buy this stuff pre-mixed, but I have about a ton of sand sitting in the back without a home :cry: , and I also have means to screen out anything to big to mix into paint...SO:

Anyone have any idea how much per gallon, and what size "sand" is usually used for this?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I honestly don't know if the type you buy to add to paint is any different from play sand or whatever. I'd do it.
How much? I usually start adding it to a paint setup (five gallon bucket), mix it good, and test drive it with a brush. When it looks thick enough, I paint away.
Remember, you can always add more, but you can't take it back out!

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
I did make my own for a boat project a while back
I really can't remember the ratio
It was play sand type, it might have been labeled "landscape sand" (?) but it was...pre-screened(?)...all the same size, or close anyway
I made several mixes, like PWG says (though I did gallons), and tried them before I got the ratio right

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have found that if you premix it tends to get streaks. I do it this way.
Make a sand shaker from a coffee can with nail holes punched in the bottom. Roll out some paint and shake the sand onto the wet paint. Let dry and come back with a lockdown coat. The end results are far superior to premix.

If you want to play around with textures, you can use glass beads, bubbles, Q-cells, different grades of sand or, for real serious jobs, ground walnut shells.

·
Registered
169 Posts
jproffer said:
OK painter friends...a question:

I need to mix paint and "sand" together for safety purposes. I know I can buy this stuff pre-mixed, but I have about a ton of sand sitting in the back without a home :cry: , and I also have means to screen out anything to big to mix into paint...SO:

Anyone have any idea how much per gallon, and what size "sand" is usually used for this?
If you're using your own sand I'd wash it first to get the dust off....or not.
I like Teedorbilt's idea for even application.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave, I thought the same thing, I already washed it....actually I washed it, sieved (screened) it, took out the sizes that I wanted, washed it again and sieved it again to get any little amount of dust that was left out. One of the advantages to working in a rock quarry QC dept. :cheesygri

Good idea Teetor about sprinkling after the first coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts