Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Cordless Dewalt circular saw? Sounds lovely - I know he needs one of those.

So the DW717 wont be too big?? I`m not going into Home Depot till next week, I might even wait to purchase it boxing day depending on what the sales are. (we wont be together for Christmas until the 27th so I have time to shop around, muahaha!)

And was just informed by Home Depot yesterday that I missed the 20% off Dewalt sale that ended Sat Dec 5th :( :( I wonder what Home Depot Canada`s boxing week sales are for tools - something tells me they wont be that great, lol.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So, after almost wanting to rip my own head off throughout all these options and decisions, this is the baby I`ve decided to purchase The DW717! (However...the Makita LS1016 is a muUUUUch sexier machine. If my Home Depot here in Canada carried it, it would probably be the one I would purchase. Its a hot saw for sure. ;))

There`s no laser option on the DW717 which I thought would be nice to have. (Just assuming...Cause really, I don`t know.) But this seems to be the gift that will keep on giving...which is pretty much what I`m going for. That, and all the bragging rights that I DO plan to receive for being the hottest wife ever for buying him a badass machine. (Instead of clothes and a PS3) lol :gunsmilie: He had BETTER appreciate this!!
they do the 717xps version which is much better than a laser as it is always spot on accurate

i have recently bought one and the xps and 6" baseboard capacity was the decider for me, so far im very pleased with it

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey Alexis, it's me, your brain. I got to thinking, (I know). You can look at both the Dewalt and the Makita at this place in Ottawa, and ask them their opinion. Smaller shops like this will know there stuff. Plus they'll show you how to use them so you can teach your husband.:laughing: The Dewalt is on sale too, ($545 I think). You also have a personal service should you need any repairs down the road.

Attachments

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
What a bunch of crap a video is....they way they talk about the max capacity of the saw is a joke...my little 10" Delta CMS has a HUGE capacity when I cut the left...but who only cuts to the left.... yeah I guess you could flip the base board over to make the "right" cut (no pun intended), but I don't want to be bothered, I would rather have a fast and easy to adjust bevel system and just cut base on the flat.

I mean the Kiter does larger crown and larger base...both left and right...
4-3/4" Base and 6 5/8 crown...
The kiter also "folds" up smaller, but weights 1.2 lbs more.

I love how he says molding keeps getting larger and larger these days...like small molding is how things are supposed to be....

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not only did they ask him to test the saw but also to test the new dewalt shirt. :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Cordless Dewalt circular saw? Sounds lovely - I know he needs one of those.
No batteries or charger, but if he has an 18V cordless drill already its prefect and you can have it for a song.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Lots of replies to this, did not read all of them, so if I'm repeating what someone already said, I apologize.

I own both a single bevel and a double bevel. Have used many of both as well. My opinion, single bevel is far better, because they are more rugged and stay "dialed in". Double bevels are awesome when you actually need it. Rest of the time they are a major headache.

My double bevel is treated like any 'hot house flower'. Only taken out for the occasional ride, neglected otherwise.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What a bunch of crap a video is....they way they talk about the max capacity of the saw is a joke...my little 10" Delta CMS has a HUGE capacity when I cut the left...but who only cuts to the left.... yeah I guess you could flip the base board over to make the "right" cut (no pun intended), but I don't want to be bothered, I would rather have a fast and easy to adjust bevel system and just cut base on the flat.

I mean the Kiter does larger crown and larger base...both left and right...
4-3/4" Base and 6 5/8 crown...
The kiter also "folds" up smaller, but weights 1.2 lbs more.

I love how he says molding keeps getting larger and larger these days...like small molding is how things are supposed to be....

i only cut base on the left, i always work anti clockwise round the room
the advantage of mitring instead of beveling is that i mitre my corner, tip it over then mitre the opposite way down to the moulding for my scribe then finish of with a jigsaw, its very quick and accurate that way

i know what you are saying about the video though, i see he happens to have done a load more on dewalt gear aswell:whistling

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I spent more time playing with the 'kiter in a Deep **** today....the thing I don't like about it is the fact that when you retract the fence away from the blade there is no stop, you can just pull the fence right off...maybe I am too used to my Bosch, but I just loosen a knob and pull, the fence hits a stop and I know it is fully retracted...it seems to me you have to remove the fence to get full access to a 45* bevel...and how the hell do you go past 45, to say, 48*. Five Star? You have any answers here seeing you own the saw?

I also wasn't sure how I liked the saw without a detent override for the miter, but I crept the saw up super close to a detent, locked down the miter lock and tryed to push it over into the detent, it didn't move....so that is good for those 22.25* cuts.

And did you saw some COATED in grease at the pivots and the slide rails....the demo was FULLY lubed with this stuff, I can just see a ton of saw dust getting stuck in it if not cleaned real well

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
TBF, i,ll tell you i had doubts just like you and when i bought the saw i was starting a big trim and kitchen job! i was gonna get the kapex but was at the depot and said what do i have to lose! 30 day trail!:thumbsup:
I CANT EVEN SCRATCH THE INK ON THE BLADE AND IVE DONE 5 KITCHENS AND 1500 FT OF CROWN AND BASE ALREADY WITH IT!

YES THE TRACKS ARE LUBED,BUT THE SAW DUST CLEARS ITSSELF AS YOU SLIDE THE SAW,BUSHINGS ARE SEALED,
THE DETENT IS ALL IN THE HANDLE TWIST AS IT TAKES A HALF A DOZEN CUTS TO GET USE TOO.
AND YES IF YOU CUTTING ON THE FLAT THE FENCES JUST SLIDE OFF VIA TURN OF A LEVER.

go buy one try it for 30days and if you dont like it you get a full refund!

BUT IM SURE ONCE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER LIKE ME AND FEEL THE SMOOTHNESS AND POWER OF THIS QUIET SAW ITS THE FIRST SAW YOU WILL REACH FOR!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What are you on you 4th saw by now.?:laughing:

warner so give us a follow up after the first month??

do you think its worth it to get the kapex table as a package? i have 2 mft/3 you think i need the kapex mft?

·
I like Green things
23,032 Posts
What are you on you 4th saw by now.?:laughing:

warner so give us a follow up after the first month??

do you think its worth it to get the kapex table as a package? i have 2 mft/3 you think i need the kapex mft?
Not to sound like a crack dealer, or anything.:shifty:

Yes. Put the saw inbetween the two tables. Now you can support what ever you want on both side of the saw ( mft/3 is same height as saw on its mft/3). bunch of work room as well left on the mft/3. I use the kapex table as a mini work table inside. I want to buy the extension wings, they are easier to use inside someone's house vs. mft/3, most times.

CMS modules. Router table insert, soon. hook it between tables, hopefully after that, the saw module, flip your 75 upside down, use the table's as support/out feed.

I think you can do most, big stationary equipment type work and still be portable and not need nearly as much room. I like that.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
Those dewalts always smash your finger with the sheild when you hold the handle. I HATE that. I had 2 makitas and they worked well until they met Hardi plank. I am very very happy with hitachi.:thumbsup: Not that you havent gotten plenty of info thought I would throw my 2 cents in

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
TBF, i,ll tell you i had doubts just like you and when i bought the saw i was starting a big trim and kitchen job! i was gonna get the kapex but was at the depot and said what do i have to lose! 30 day trail!:thumbsup:
I CANT EVEN SCRATCH THE INK ON THE BLADE AND IVE DONE 5 KITCHENS AND 1500 FT OF CROWN AND BASE ALREADY WITH IT!

YES THE TRACKS ARE LUBED,BUT THE SAW DUST CLEARS ITSSELF AS YOU SLIDE THE SAW,BUSHINGS ARE SEALED,
THE DETENT IS ALL IN THE HANDLE TWIST AS IT TAKES A HALF A DOZEN CUTS TO GET USE TOO.
AND YES IF YOU CUTTING ON THE FLAT THE FENCES JUST SLIDE OFF VIA TURN OF A LEVER.

go buy one try it for 30days and if you dont like it you get a full refund!

BUT IM SURE ONCE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER LIKE ME AND FEEL THE SMOOTHNESS AND POWER OF THIS QUIET SAW ITS THE FIRST SAW YOU WILL REACH FOR!:thumbup:

okay, but the only thing I still ask is how to do you get to 48* on the Bevel?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts