If you could find a way to get him the Makita Ls1016 he would have the

Hottest saw of any guy but Warner

And since you bought it for him the hottest wife of anybody

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The decision!

So, after almost wanting to rip my own head off throughout all these options and decisions, this is the baby I`ve decided to purchase The DW717! (However...the Makita LS1016 is a muUUUUch sexier machine. If my Home Depot here in Canada carried it, it would probably be the one I would purchase. Its a hot saw for sure. ;))

There`s no laser option on the DW717 which I thought would be nice to have. (Just assuming...Cause really, I don`t know.) But this seems to be the gift that will keep on giving...which is pretty much what I`m going for. That, and all the bragging rights that I DO plan to receive for being the hottest wife ever for buying him a badass machine. (Instead of clothes and a PS3) lol :gunsmilie: He had BETTER appreciate this!!

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
The dewalt 718 (12" slider) is junk. It replaced the 708, which was a great saw. The 717 on the other hand, seems to be a pretty good saw. Compare the 717 and the 718 side by side in the store, and the difference in quality is really apparent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would love to own a Kapex, but I currently own a Bosch. Their mitre saws are awesome and have upfront dual bevel controls, so no reaching around to the back of the saw. I have a 12" and the only down side I have notice is blade deflection when cutting some harder woods. A 10" would fix that, but doesnt have the cutting capacity of a 12".

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I am about to dump my 12" bosch in favor of the Maktia 1016...:eek: I do feel bad, b/c I loved that saw, and it was a gift, the the Makita does the same capacity, if not more, with the smaller more accurate blade...and I have been starting to notice the damn blade deflection more and more now that it was pointed out to me........

I know as soon as Bosch comes out with a rival model I be wanting it.....

ahh the glory of craigslist I guess...sell things off and don't take much of a loss.

All this damn research and pointing out the good sides about the new generation 10" sliders just became too much....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did anybody catch that this is his first Mitre saw.

Does he have room to store or does it need to be more portable.

He would be morethan happy with the Makita LS1040 with a lot less weight.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
...maybe, I have been running a 10" CMS for a few months now, but I always had the 12" slider in case I needed it... if he does anytrim over 5" he will have a problem with a 10" saw. My 10" CMS will JUST cut 5" Crown laying flat, and that is with a 45* spring angle, not sure one with 38* would have worked...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have the Ls1016 and it is a SWEEEET SAW, its features are almost exact to a kapex except for dust control! and for me since i do not carry my vac to every job the makita was a better option and at less than half the price of a kapex! tomorrow i will test it on some 2x10 brazillian jotoba lumber as i have sold another custom mantle from this wood i had for 15+ yrs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
TBF i sold alot of my old saws on criagslist, for my green addiction, but once you pull the trigger on the makita, its hard to look at another saw again, even if its the $$GREEN MACHINE$$ the makita is the first saw i reach for!:whistling

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
TBF i sold alot of my old saws on criagslist, for my green addiction, but once you pull the trigger on the makita, its hard to look at another saw again, even if its the $$GREEN MACHINE$$ the makita is the first saw i reach for!:whistling

The Bosch is up on CL right now:whistling

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I see a 10" Hitachi? and some SurePly under layment?

by the way...i blame you...I gotta have that damn 1016 now.

Dont blame me im just a junkie :laughing: i have 3 chop saws and im looking at a 4th:shutup:

DAMN YOU FESTOOL >>>DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!:furious::censored::furious:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The Bosch is up on CL right now:whistling
Keep the bocsh for the rainy outdoor work or lumbersaw! i screen the material i ll cut before i break out the mak:laughing: to see if its worthy!!

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Dont blame me im just a junkie :laughing: i have 3 chop saws and im looking at a 4th:shutup:

DAMN YOU FESTOOL >>>DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!:furious::censored::furious:
yeah, that is pretty bad. I have my hated (by you) Delta 10" and I have the 12" Bosch, soon to be replaced by the 1016. I just spent some time today looking over the 1016 and DW717 in person...the Makita wins hands down. Quad rails, larger capacity....

and maybe, just MAYBE, the guard can stay on this saw.....

But I got to get off this damn forum. I have to get up at 3 so I can head down to princeton to finish some hot mudding in a hair salon. I want to beat the other guy there so when he arrives he can sand it, then messy part will be done by the time the hair stylists arrive....yeah, I have no idea why we are working around them, but its not my job, I am just subbed in. We pulled out water damaged rock today, installed and first/second coated.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Which hair salon on 27? i built an office there next it 12 yrs ago!!

your in my neck of the woods now:thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The more I think of it, I think the more he might benefit from something portable, that he can bring back and forth between Ottawa and to Toronto. He tends to do alot of work for both his parents houses, his brothers, friends etc...

Does this mean the DW717 might not be the best idea??

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I think you made a good choice, he wants a Dewalt so he won' be as happy with anything since he has his heart set one it.

You got a 10" double bevel SCMS, smaller then a 12" and less blade flex. Its probably only 5 more pounds then the Kapex.

I think you made the perfect choice.

Does he want a bunch of empty Hilti cases to go with it? A nice greenlee or husky toolbag or two? Cordless Dewalt circular saw? I'm taking alot of heat from the allmighty to clear out this crap.:laughing:

41 - 60 of 80 Posts