Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a Mitre saw for my husband for Christmas. I am completely stressing myself out over trying to find the best one for him, but without breaking the bank. ($499 is the limit I`m going for) I have found what looks like a fanastic Makita model which is a 10" dual slide compound which is $549

As well as 2 Dewalt heavy duty (his favorite) models, one being a single and the other a double bevel model, both 12". the single bevel is $429 and the double is $499.

HELP. Which mitre am I purchasing????? This will be his first Mitre, and I really want him to be impressed. I like the idea that Ridigd products come with a lifetime warranty wheras Dewalt is only 3 year, and I don`t even know what Makita`s is.

All help is extremely appreciated. You`re helping one stressed out girl. Thanks guys!!!

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
The Makita 10" you speak of is prob this one correct? The LS1016?

From what I have heard is a GREAT saw....there are many on here that love or dislike DeWalt....but I have heard that the newer DeWalts have a tendency for inaccuracy. A guy called "FiveStar" Comes to mind, he had a new DeWalt slider and sold it off to get this Makita.

I would go with the Makita. I don't know about you, but my Home Depot is also running a special, Free circ saw with purchase of the LS1016 miter saw. If he would like once of the following it would make another great present, if not you could sell it on ebay and further reduce the cost of the new 10" slider.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But when it comes to a 12 or 10 inch, does that limit the functionality of the product, or limit job ability?

And truly.....That Makita is gorgeous. lol.

In alot of forums I`ve seen I`ve noticed alot of feedback about Dewalt being flimsy or innacurate. Maybe their power drills are better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and my home depot is a running a 20% off all Makita products this weekend, so it looks like this might be the one for me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Black & Decker has purchased Delta/Porter Cable/Dewalt. Should be enough said. Yes functionality is affected by size. Though there is a tool maker who makes a 10 1/4" saw that can come close to competing with the twelves. I'm sure Warner will be along any minute to tell you about it.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Black & Decker has purchased Delta/Porter Cable/Dewalt. Should be enough said. Yes functionality is affected by size. Though there is a tool maker who makes a 10 1/4" saw that can come close to competing with the twelves. I'm sure Warner will be along any minute to tell you about it.
Its is only a matter of time....

I would go for the Makita....I would be VERY happy to see that as a gift. I am a Bosch guy for my miter and table saws, but I saw this bad larry in the store and almost wanted to buy it...but I really don't have a need for another saw otherwise I might have.:w00t:

·
Registered
732 Posts
The 10" dewalt slider seems to be very solid, almost a copy of the old Hitachi 10" that was an excellent saw. I like the makita alot though as well.

HD near me is giving away a free MSUV with the purchase of either the Millwaukee or Ridgid SCMS. The MSUV is a pretty nice stand for the $$.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
From what I have heard, the Makita is a great saw.

I have the Milwaukee 12" slider, which is also a fantastic saw. I think it might still come with a free stand at Home Depot. You might want to ask. I have seen it there lately for $549, but every once in a while they drop the price to $499. It does not come with a laser, so if your husband likes those, go with the Makita. I don't care for lasers, so it doesn't bother me. It does have good lights, though. And the dust collection is better than any other saw in the price range.

Oh, and he will want a double-bevel saw. Single bevel will slow him down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 10" Makita says Dual Slide - but not double bevel. ....Now I`m confused. I know double bevel is better than single, but this particular Makita model doesn`t say either.

The Dewalt only has a 10" single or a 12" double, but is extremely overpriced.

I noticed Ridgid`s model doesn`t include anything in regard to single or double bevel either. How is it some brands specify and others don`t? Is this taken into consideration which to purchase? or is Dual Slide a fancier way of saying Double.

-phew-:eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 10" Makita says Dual Slide - but not double bevel. ....Now I`m confused. I know double bevel is better than single, but this particular Makita model doesn`t say either.

The Dewalt only has a 10" single or a 12" double, but is extremely overpriced.

I noticed Ridgid`s model doesn`t include anything in regard to single or double bevel either. How is it some brands specify and others don`t? Is this taken into consideration which to purchase? or is Dual Slide a fancier way of saying Double.

-phew-:eek:
Rigid 12" MS1290LZA bevels 47 degrees in either direction. Makita LS1214FL bevels 45 degrees in either direction. ;)

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I picked out my Bosch...sorta...she just found ways of asking me what I wanted...i figured should couldn't afford to buy a $700 saw so I blew it off... On my birthday she gave me a Bosch Saw-Z-All...2 weeks later the Miter Saw Arrived....first and only time I was ever really surprized...

I remember my birthday morning well....she came in with the Saw-Z-All wrapped, I could tell right away what it was from the size/shape of the box, I pretty much convinced myself she couldn't afford the miter saw but still was like...DAMN, its just a Saw-Z-All...then thinking that sounded pretty snotty to myself. LOL....weird feeling. 2 Weeks later she asked me to come help unload something out of the back of her Pathfinder...

My new girl wanted to get me the Bosch Table Saw, but I beat her to the punch...found deal on CL for a near new one...the owner was an older man, passed away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JF, he`s totally the type that would love to pick out his own saw, however, I don`t do gift certificates. I refuse to. I`d rather just buy him a really awesome one that I know he would be amazed by. Unfortunately if I had to guess it would be a stupid Dewalt saw that`s pretty much $700. Worst case scenario though, he can just return it and exchange it for something else he likes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, "If I want our future home to be soooooo amazing *I* need to buy him the tools to get it there for us" lol

Sigh, I keep feeling like i`m back to square 1 with which Mitre to purchase. Arghhhhh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And TBFG its not the LS1016 i`m looking to purchase, the one im looking at is the LS1013L

Apperantly I can`t post a link since I don`t have enough posts per my account yet.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
JF, he`s totally the type that would love to pick out his own saw, however, I don`t do gift certificates. I refuse to. I`d rather just buy him a really awesome one that I know he would be amazed by. Unfortunately if I had to guess it would be a stupid Dewalt saw that`s pretty much $700. Worst case scenario though, he can just return it and exchange it for something else he likes.

Then it's cash, with a nice pic of a saw in the card...:laughing:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
And TBFG its not the LS1016 i`m looking to purchase, the one im looking at is the LS1013L

Apperantly I can`t post a link since I don`t have enough posts per my account yet.

Oh...I would go with the Dw717 then...All my Home Depots have the LS1016 for $549 with a free circ saw...I have 5 with in 20-25 min of me.

so you've got a haunted table saw now :shutup: goes with your user name

:eek: maybe...:eek: altho the guy seemed like a great carpenter, so maybe it is haunted in a good way...:laughing:

My Username come from a paintball team I used to captain. TBF stood for the team, Ghost was the nick name they chose to call me.

www.jointfury.com

1 - 20 of 80 Posts