Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread on the use of Miter Clamps.

They are especially helpful on outside corners on crown molding, but I use them on base and door and window casing too. I use Titebond Molding and Trim glue along with the clamps and a 23 ga. micropinner.

Glued, Clamped and Pinned miters are strong enough that pre-assembly of casing sets works well.

Here are a few pics to get the discussion started:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Nice thing about the Collin's clamps is that they don't leave large holes like the Ulmia clamps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
DAMN you Basswood, you're going to send me broke!:shutup: How can I live without these clamps now?????? Out with the belt fed credit card AGAIN!:w00t:

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Bass, how can you stand that bostitch pin nailer? I bought it because I love my framer, roofer,15 ga. finish gun etc. but, that thing was just garbage. Maybe I had a bad one but, I think quite a few people didn't like that thing.

Those are the collins clamps right.

They do kinda look like dongs in that first picture.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had good results with the Bostitch 23 ga. gun. Like it much better than the PC (that's not saying much, I know).

The keys to setting pins in Hardwoods with the Bostitch is 110 psi and holding the nose firm and tight to the work. It has been working well for me. I've heard some don't like this gun, though.

And, yep, Collins Clamps:

http://www.collinstool.com/base.php?page=collins_miter_clamps.htm

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread on the use of Miter Clamps.

They are especially helpful on outside corners on crown molding, but I use them on base and door and window casing too. I use Titebond Molding and Trim glue along with the clamps and a 23 ga. micropinner.

Glued, Clamped and Pinned miters are strong enough that pre-assembly of casing sets works well.

Here are a few pics to get the discussion started:
The pinner works real nice in many applications. I got Grex P-650L, I would highly recommend. Most useful tool during assembly, trim or cabinet work.

Nice work Bass as always and thanks for the tips, have you considered moving to NJ?:whistling

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Bass, how can you stand that bostitch pin nailer? I bought it because I love my framer, roofer,15 ga. finish gun etc. but, that thing was just garbage. Maybe I had a bad one but, I think quite a few people didn't like that thing.

Those are the collins clamps right.

They do kinda look like dongs in that first picture.
I agree, Bostich is garbage, and that is exactly where it went...I got Grex and I love it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bass.Timely thread for me as I have been thinking about adding clamps to my arsenal.I've been getting along with my 23 ga. and tape but clamps I can see would increase speed and overall quality!!! I use Titebond moulding glue and Titebond II ( the moulding glue seems to set a little slower and has some fill ) The clamp pliers, do they work well? Also,can these clamps be used for small joints such as returns.Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Bass.Timely thread for me as I have been thinking about adding clamps to my arsenal.I've been getting along with my 23 ga. and tape but clamps I can see would increase speed and overall quality!!! I use Titebond moulding glue and Titebond II ( the moulding glue seems to set a little slower and has some fill ) The clamp pliers, do they work well? Also,can these clamps be used for small joints such as returns.Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:
I mentioned in another thread that you can use the clamps without pliers, but IMO they work much better with pliers (especially for small returns). Once in a while, I misplace the pliers (or want to save a trip to get them in another room), and this is how I set the clamps without pliers:

1) Squeeze the clamp partially open in your hand and set a point.

2) Reach inside the other side of the clamp and pull it open across the miter.

3. Set the other point.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never used the clamps, you get used to doing things a certain way. But they are inexpensive and I think I want to try them in the future. Good Thread.:thumbsup:
If you like to pin miters together, it can be tempting to hold your fingers too close to the nose of your gun and tag your finger tips with a pin.:censored:

Nice to let the clamp hold the miter together and spare your fingertips. They are like having a third hand.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been using those clamps forever and love them.:thumbup:

Hoped no one else would discover my secret
I mostly use that technique in reverse, when collecting the clamps from the miters the next day. I like to leave the clamps on overnight. I think the pressure from the clamps makes the glued joint stronger.

The clamps make work easier, and produce work that is better looking (tighter joints) and stronger (less likely to have miters open later). A good deal from such a simple tool.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They also work great as a 3rd hand when assembling long miters like columns, boxes, and tall base. I usually clamp one end of the long joint, then align the far end by hand and shoot it with pins. Very convenient.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts