Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a dual bevel 12" miter saw.

I am in the $800 range spending limit so the Festool Kapex is a bit out of my range. I also have never had good luck with any thing dewalt so would like to avoid them all together. Better yet I just don't like dewalt.

I see the Jet miter saw and from my knowledge they make other high end wood working tools so that is a good bet.

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JMS-12SCM...&qid=1392530537&sr=1-1&keywords=jet+miter+saw

Then I read reviews on the 10" saw and see its just a re branded craftsman saw. That kinda puts a damper on things.

then their is the Metabo miter saw

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-12-Inc...d=1392530781&sr=1-1&keywords=metabo+miter+saw

The one model is made is Germany That is a big plus for me. Any thing aside from the infamous "Made in China" is instantly going to grab my attention.

Aside from that I just would like some opinions on 12" miter saws. I have seen the Bosch gravity rise table saw stand in use and thought it was awesome. Not sure about the Miter saw stand as was not their for him to use it but he did have both and said both were incredible.

I will buy a good quality made in china saw just would like some opinions.

·
Super Moderator
27,656 Posts
I have a 12" Dewalt sliding compound, had it for 12 years , still no complaints.

My dad and brother use Bosch.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 12" Dewalt sliding compound, had it for 12 years , still no complaints.

My dad and brother use Bosch.
Sounds like my boss on the Dewalt 12". I just seem to have a good luck of always picking the lemons of their tools.

Great in every one else's hands becomes a lemon in mine. I take care of my tools and do not abuse them just the way it is I guess.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I really liked my Bosch 4310. Up front bevel controls, very smooth. Sold it so I can add to the mound of funds needed for the Kapex.

If you are ok with the weight then the Axial Glide I hear is nice. Looks like most everything else is the same as the 4310 so i would recommend it. 10" or 12".

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
the bosch axial glide or the milwaukee 12" slider are my first two choices with makita being 3rd.. the new dewalts are underpowered and go out of alignment far too easy compared to other saws on the market

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,296 Posts
Designed2Fail said:
I am looking into buying a dual bevel 12" miter saw. I am in the $800 range spending limit so the Festool Kapex is a bit out of my range. I also have never had good luck with any thing dewalt so would like to avoid them all together. Better yet I just don't like dewalt. I see the Jet miter saw and from my knowledge they make other high end wood working tools so that is a good bet. http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JMS-12SCMS-12-Inch-Dual-Bevel-Compound/dp/B001O0D6M4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1392530537&sr=1-1&keywords=jet+miter+saw Then I read reviews on the 10" saw and see its just a re branded craftsman saw. That kinda puts a damper on things. then their is the Metabo miter saw http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-12-Inch-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000JJJ116/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1392530781&sr=1-1&keywords=metabo+miter+saw The one model is made is Germany That is a big plus for me. Any thing aside from the infamous "Made in China" is instantly going to grab my attention. Aside from that I just would like some opinions on 12" miter saws. I have seen the Bosch gravity rise table saw stand in use and thought it was awesome. Not sure about the Miter saw stand as was not their for him to use it but he did have both and said both were incredible. I will buy a good quality made in china saw just would like some opinions.
Here's a gravity rise stand with the BestFence system. I had the Bosch 12" SCMS on this stand and it's a great saw as well. I only went to the Kapex because it was lighter and my back is shot.

image-390635382.jpg

image-1568909705.jpg

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I have a dewalt 12" slider and a regular 12" and 2 10" sliders and a regular 10"

I have a miter saw obsession

But I was playing with the makita double slider the other day, and really like it. It's a 10" though

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
I know, I know...the title says besides DeWalt and Kapex...but at $800 your close to the Kapex. Save for a few more weeks or whatever it takes and get it. I fought buying it for awhile. I still have my DW 718 and a regular DeWalt non sliding miter saw. The accuracy of the Kapex is phenomenal! I could always get good results from the Dewalt slider, but I had to watch I wouldn't pull the saw to one side or the other. Also even with a vac hooked up, dust was everywhere. Now I am producing the best miters I have ever produced and the lack of a giant mess around my saw makes me smile! I have a Festool midi vac, but currently am using my shop vac with a craftsman vac switch and a Cleanstream filter and shop vac brand fine dust bag. It works well. This frees up my midi for the track saw and other tasks. So don't think you have to buy the Festool vac right away.

The other factor is weight. All the other saws mentioned are heavy!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've had the bosch axial glide for a few months now. I'm really happy with it. Not havin the rails protrude from the back is a big bonus. I also really like the up front controls and the ability to bevel past 45 degrees.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have 2- 10" makita sliders LS1016's I believe. Best saw I have ever used. I have never used the Kapex though. Have used Bosch, Hitachi and Dewalt sliders.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I really love my Milwaukee, but find I tend to set it up in sometimes inconvenient spots because it's so ungainly and heavy to move. That makes me walk more, which makes me take more time, which costs me money. My next saw is a Kapex! And I may not wait that long!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts