Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of purchasing some of Jim Chestnut's clam clamps; have you guys used them. I'm doing alot of window installs for my local Anderson dealer, I'd like to build my casing on the bench then bring the assembly upstairs. I have been doing this with miter bond, witch works fine for their standard white pine trim but does not work with oak. Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been wanting to get some of those myself. Saw them used in person but have not used them myself. They seemed to work great when I saw them demonstrated. Seems like you would need a bunch of em for a production approach. Maybe at least 3 sets?

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Here's a recent post on miter clamps http://www.contractortalk.com/f13/miter-spring-clamp-clinic-54914/

Jim's clamps work very well, especially on larger casings. I agree that you will probably want to get about 8 or so for production work (maybe more?).

With the teeth installed they do leave small holes in the casing, but they can be removed, I believe, you just lose some "bite".

Once the clamps are installed, you can easily move the pre-built casings around without having to worry about them coming apart.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a recent post on miter clamps http://www.contractortalk.com/f13/miter-spring-clamp-clinic-54914/

Jim's clamps work very well, especially on larger casings. I agree that you will probably want to get about 8 or so for production work (maybe more?).

With the teeth installed they do leave small holes in the casing, but they can be removed, I believe, you just lose some "bite".

Once the clamps are installed, you can easily move the pre-built casings around without having to worry about them coming apart.
Thanks I did see that post, and I do have spring clamps, I just don't think that they will have enough strength for me to carry the casing through the house without it falling apart.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got 8. Well- I have 7... one has gone missing somehow. They are fantastic. Really they are one of the few products I've come across that works as well as advertised. At least they do for me.

8 is a good number- rarely I have wished for another 8. But, I really don't miter that much- I've been lucky to be installing casings that I can jack miter and build-up. So if you're regularly doing large mitered trim jobs you might want another set of 4 or 8. I think it's best to leave a frame in the clamp long enough for the glue to set- so around 20-30 minutes for TBII, but quite a bit less for TB Trim glue. The pins are removable- I have pulled all but 1 and added some sticky-back sandpaper before. The holes aren't any bigger than a nail hole. I've never tried just sandpaper...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lavrans I thought they would be good but its always nice to talk to some one that has used a product before you buy it. I'm going to order some this week and I;ll let you guys know how they work:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Clamps

I ordered 4 a few months ago, and have not stopped finding uses for them. Used them the other day to assemble outdoor frames for screens. (TSed a groove for the spline and then, clamped frame in middle and rolled in screen, miters didn't budge)
I clamped up some test scraps out of 3 1/2" poplar, took a hammer to them and the breaking surprised me. Some glue line cracking and some wood cracking. These things really can exert some serious force. I have used them on exterior window boxes, decking, (used them on an outdoor shower two weeks ago!!) I have left all the pins screwed in and use Titebond III for everything.
I have had some pieces not set up so well, I guess just the joint sucking up too much glue.
Overall, very pleased. Plus no one in Toronto has ever seen them.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just got my first set of miter clamps yesterday...
Havent used them yet, so I cant vouch for their greatness, though I believe it from what I've seen and read. However, I was shocked when they came in the mail. I figured they were pricey because Jim makes them all himself and they have such great reviews that he can get about 130 bucks for a pair. But when I opened the box, I could not believe how heavy they were. Sometimes I buy a tool and I think to myself, how much could this have cost to make, it seems so flimsy. But I picked these up and I dont think I own a finer made tool. It just feels solid and is constructed of durable material.

I bought the collins clamps a few months ago. Those things are awesome as well. I use them all the time for o/s corners on base, crown, and just about anything else. But when im installing something like 3 1/2" casing, they just dont give enough pressure on the heel of the miter. Thats why I ordered the clam clamps.

I was also surprised to call up the company and its Jim answering the phone, taking my order, and then b/s'ing with me afterwards. I've never been able to get a hold of Mr. DeWalt and talk to him about how work is going and projects I've got. Kinda lets me know any questions I have with the clamps I can call up and talk to the man that made them himself.

In any event, the clam clamp and collins clamps are two indispensable tools for doing trim work. Like I said I haven't used the clam clamps yet, but like the Collins Clamps im sure they will pay for themselves quickly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update!

:clap:Just got home and found that the ups boys were here!:clap:
gbruzze 1you are right there is some weight to them, started tearing windows out of a house today so tommorrow I will put them to good use:thumbsup:
I got a house to trim in about 2 weeks time so they will definately get a workout in the next little while.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

:clap::thumbup:I used my clamps today, absolutely love them. I should have bought them a year ago when I first noticed them in FHB mag.
I think now I have to buy another set. Thanks everyone for your input.:w00t:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Cased a few doors this morning and broke out the clam clamps, doing it any other way is just retarded now

ML
Think I am going to have to get me some of those. Those and some 2p-10. I have the Collins clamps and really like them but you move the trim around too much, they don't have the power to keep things together.

I guess the Collins are more for miters on base and such around corners.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Has anyone ever tried corrugated fasteners on door and window trim miters? I don't have any experience with these guns, bu it looks like it could be a quick solution. Just don't know how will the hold, or it they would tend to throw things out of alignment. I guess they wouldn't do anything to pull the joint tighter?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Has anyone ever tried corrugated fasteners on door and window trim miters? I don't have any experience with these guns, bu it looks like it could be a quick solution. Just don't know how will the hold, or it they would tend to throw things out of alignment. I guess they wouldn't do anything to pull the joint tighter?
When we order doors with casing pre assembled and attached to one side, all the pre assembled casing is held together with corrugated fasteners. They hold well but I like some glue in there.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I bought a corrugated gun off of cl for $25. Cabinet guy who couldn't make rhe business work . I used it on attaching 1x4 together and it really works slick. That's the only time I used it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts