Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Why was there no hand rail to help the woman with a cane down safely (or was the picture taken to early)?

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the owner said early 18's but I feel like it was the 17mid1700

I'v done alot of them but only two with stone partitionsor wyths
this one had very "thin stone" on edge...interesting the wey they cliped the edge so as to let the bond run through under! Common sense approach.
The other stone rebuild is next dr to me here on Quaker Farms Oxford.
It has a 6' oven in the basement all stone.....the kictchen fp [i have a pic] has a 7 ft wide fp with a beehive which is built into it's left rear wall so it uses the fp's chimney....I made a new damper for it and rebuilt it but the damper needs to be too big ...the ovens which followed had their own flues. This was in the earlt 1700's Celeb Perry's home George Washington Slept there I'm told. The other 3 fps were very Orton like with slight slanted backs....ie. proof that the straight back rumford which is said to have had preference for 100 years is wrong....it was imediately slanted by those masons whith a brain. Of course they stayed with the 4 '' throat though as they like most everyone since followed the count's rule even though their throat was long up front and with less side wall angling!

The chimney is 4 by 4 and about 20 free satnding..we rebuilt it with Harvard Gonic Brick in the winter as the architech wanted the hand molded look!:whistling When we got the chimney down to the attic floor I went down inside and cleaned out the mortar joints and pointed it all up....got tight when I neared the fire boxes and had to back out and finish from the throat side reaching up. Uses a wet vac [old style] and piped the exhaust out the window....and a fan in the attic which gave a nice up draft so I could breath.The old man would warn that you swell when in a tight area and he's right...at least it feels that way lol. Another thing to watch is when you wet the chimney it makes a acid type gas like amonia hence the fan.

The worse part was the piles of mice droppings and the smell...in each smoke shelf..they get in through the many tons of stone work.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why was there no hand rail to help the woman with a cane down safely (or was the picture taken to early)?
they did the railings the nice lady had cancer and passed within a year after. She couldnt do enough for my sons! I guess the family decided against the lower rails. I think they put shrubs there since?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Rile of thumb for determining chimney age here in New England. Beehive in the main box , pre 1750. Beehive outside the box , post 1750. Of couse there is some overlap. But it will get you in the right century.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Rile of thumb for determining chimney age here in New England. Beehive in the main box , pre 1750. Beehive outside the box , post 1750. Of couse there is some overlap. But it will get you in the right century.

Are you talking beehive as in oven ?

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
beehive ovens yes Fred

Are you talking beehive as in oven ?
Here is the neighbor's kitch. fp Celeb Perry Home.....they had a so called expert from Mass whom solely does historical rebuilds and new..in fact he worked for Martha Stewart a bit at the vinyard....Sunderland Homes is his company.
He told the owner the exisitng brick face was original and got them in a panic as I insisted it was an added firebox and face which someone did a 100 years back or so to Rumfordize it.
I took it upon myself to remove it anyways and I was right and they thanked me many times over but the builder didn't like it. oh well won't be the first time!

Fred the chimney pic is the harvard gonic brk...did it in the winter I actually did the flashing then labored for my son and my pre Madonna brother the opportunist whom comes around when there's no work then leaves just as fast..lol. It's a bit irregular he's not great and my son was learning with those steel brk in the winter!..

I did some oven nitches at my house that actually keep pies warm but look nice. ...I wish I had more room for full oven. The brick with trowel lines are very tedius....didnt like the groove jointer got a bunch of them.

The fireplace is the one that burns with the damper a 1-3/4'' or a 1:30 ratio all the time with any size fire.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts