Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can putting mirror tile on a ceiling be done without the backing peeling off? i already bought the tile (could return it if had to) not relizing it says not to use on ceiling, but i have seen it done before. I have a really sticky mortor that will certainly hold it... anyone do this before?

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
I have never personally installed glass on a ceiling, but if it says "Dont use on ceilings", dont use it on the ceilings. There must be a different glass that can be used. I had glass ceilings in my house growing up but I remember it had some kind of thin frame around each panel. When I took it down a few years ago I was amazed at how little adhesive was used. It must have been the frame supporting it...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I used to work next to a company that made custom mirrors and they had this massive laminating machine and i asked the guy what it was for and he said it eats fingers. I looked at him funny and he put his hands up in the air and the machine that makes the glass you can put on ceilings pulled all 8 of his fingers off his had. He was feeding the glass into the machine and put his hand into it also :eek: He had each one put back on.
But back to the original post.
They do make mirrors that have a special lamination on the rear of the glass that make it good for mounting on ceilings and it also stops the glass from coming down in bits if it gets broken. You def don't want a 2ft long bit of glass in your eye after your one night stand kicks her hells into it.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Putting glass above your head in certain areas is against code. Wouldn't want to be under that stuff during an earthquake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts