·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a contractor work on my home and
he installed a closet door (appr 30" wide) regular wood frame
with a glass held in around a 6" wood frame. He then cut mirror
to fit on top of the glass and glued it on to the glass. I was very
concern about this, the mirror is large and full length.
I was hoping for a door with the mirror built
right into the frame. I worry about the glue holding and it breaking off
during an earthquake or rough handling by the grandchilren.

I have no confidence in this contractor I chose and I wonder if anyone
has any opinions on this.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
hmmm, mirror mounted on glass with an adhesive. It could be fine, but then again. I have only used mirror mastic to mount mirrors on walls. I don't know if there is a mirror mastic designed to mount to glass. Glass is so smooth it would worry me that you could get a good bond, unless there is a specific mastic that I don't know about.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
juliepe said:
I worry about the glue [not] holding it
I just happened to have a tube of Liquid Nails Mirror Adhesive in a bucket next to me. Glass is not included in the list of materials that are recommended for bonding mirrors to. HOWEVER - under the instructions for surface preparation it states "On non-porous substrates such as glass, tile or metal, no priming is neccesary". Leaves me wondering.
This adhesive is made for bonding electro copper plated mirrors. If the contractor used something else that is recommended for bonding to glass then it may desilver the mirror backing. If he used this product then it's probably OK. Ask the contractor to show you a tube of what he used if you're concerned about it. You can also visit www.liquidnails.com if you want to know more about their mirror adhesive. It's their product # LN-930.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
LocTite Corp. makes numerous product for bonding to glass. Glass is a fluid for those of you not in the know.
I would call the guy and get some sort of reassurance. Make notes and file them.
I would not worry about earthquakes or the grandkids. If the bond fails it will most likely be to static conditions and scare the cr8p out of you in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Glass is a fluid. That is why your mirror wants to fall off of the windshield in your car.
Slow? you bet. Studies have shown that old glass windows are thicker at the base.

Reactions: Frank Castle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pondman said:
Glued with what EXACTLY.
Thanks for responding to my concerns. I do not know the glue used.
I've tried contacting the contractor but no response.

I might see if I can get a door with the mirror actually built in.
I paid $300 for the current door probably would be more for a mirrored
door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts