Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a five foot long mirror to install above a vanity with a granite top and 3 inch high backsplash. normally I tile above the splash and the mirror is up off of the backsplash about 10 inches or so.
these people want the mirror to sit right on the backsplash. would it be best to sit the mirror right on the backsplash or use a piece of chrome mirror track on the backsplash.
my concern with the track is that water will sit down in the track and maybe start to turn the mirror black on the bottom.
does any one have a good way to install a mirror right to the top of the backsplash
thanks....nicko

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I would use construction glue for mirrors if want a clean look otherwise use a track. I've thrown so many of those mirrors away seems nobody wants them anymore too 70's and 80's style.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Adhesive and no track. Be sure to use some thin clear spacers to keep it up off the stone then silicone. You're right.....the track would get very nasty.

________
Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only installed a few in the last nearly 6 years. They are ridiculous looking. But is you have to I agree with avenge, construction adhesive and no track.
yea that is why I am asking the question I usually am tearing them out and throwing them away in fact the one I tore out of this job I am throwing away but they want to install another one.
thanks....nicko

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
yea that is why I am asking the question I usually am tearing them out and throwing them away in fact the one I tore out of this job I am throwing away but they want to install another one.
thanks....nicko
I have offered to frame them for free.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
'Construction Adhesive' (IE - Liquid Nails) is the worst possible thing you can use to hang a mirror. It will eat through the coating on the back of the mirror in a couple of years, and it doesn't stay flexible enough. Use 'Mirror Mastic' (C.R. Lawrence is my preferred brand) It's black and looks like thick tar, and comes in tubes and buckets.

To the OP - You don't need a channel on the bottom. Just shim the mirror up 1/16". When the mastic dries carefully run a thin bead of clear silicone in the gap to keep the mirror from touching the backsplash.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
'Construction Adhesive' (IE - Liquid Nails) is the worst possible thing you can use to hang a mirror. It will eat through the coating on the back of the mirror in a couple of years, and it doesn't stay flexible enough. Use 'Mirror Mastic' (C.R. Lawrence is my preferred brand) It's black and looks like thick tar, and comes in tubes and buckets.

To the OP - You don't need a channel on the bottom. Just shim the mirror up 1/16". When the mastic dries carefully run a thin bead of clear silicone in the gap to keep the mirror from touching the backsplash.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I use LN Mirror adhesive.

51MlCCXHPpL._SY355_.jpg

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have offered to frame them for free.
I thought about framing it but since it is down on the back splash and is the kids bathroom I think water that gets splashed on the mirror will run down and lay on the wood or get between the wood and mirror.
I guess that could get a bead of silicone too but I think I will leave it up a sixteenth and mask it off and run a bead of silicone and strike it off flush and pull the masking tape.

Thanks..........nicko

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

I guess I also should have been more specific but I was also referring to the adhesive TNT posted. I guess I shouldn't assume people have common sense and wouldn't just pick up a random tube of glue.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
It's so much easier and cleaner-looking with the track, even if it's an ugly chrome - it's still clean. Why shoot yourself in the foot messing with that edge? Although I haven't checked, I'd think a glass shop sells it in different finishes.
(Edit: unless you frame it, instead.)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It's so much easier and cleaner-looking with the track, even if it's an ugly chrome - it's still clean. Why shoot yourself in the foot messing with that edge? Although I haven't checked, I'd think a glass shop sells it in different finishes.
(Edit: unless you frame it, instead.)
How's an ugly chrome track cleaner looking than nothing? If you don't glue it than you have to have something holding the top. It's easier to glue it up than to use a track.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified. I use LN Mirror adhesive.

View attachment 112904
Gotcha! You wouldn't believe how many mirrors I pull down because the glass guys used tube glue to hold it up and you can see right through where the glue has eaten the silver off. UGH! - That reminds me I get to play glass man tomorrow. 2 VERY GOOD friends of mine own a glass company and need an extra hand for 4-5 hours tomorrow.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
How did you attach the trim Rob? Did you just have the mirror smaller and inset or double sided tape, or some other cool trick?
They were existing. I rabbited the trim and fit it around the mirror on the top and sides and planed the bottom piece down. The Rosettes hide the rabbits. I then just pinned the tops and side along with a bit of caulk as an adhesive to the mirror. The bottom was pinned together and then glued in place.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
They were existing. I rabbited the trim and fit it around the mirror on the top and sides and planed the bottom piece down. The Rosettes hide the rabbits. I then just pinned the tops and side along with a bit of caulk as an adhesive to the mirror. The bottom was pinned together and then glued in place.
Yep - same way I've done it. I cut my frame out of trim to fit the mirror and then ran it down the router table to cut a 3/16 rabbit. Construction adhesive and pins with silicone on the inside bead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts