Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am bidding on a mold remediation project right now. The mold was caused due to ZERO intake ventilation on the English Tudor style home.

As part of my remediation, I am giving an option to build out the overhangs and create some soffit ventilation. We've done this once in the past by ripping off the fascia sistering the rafters and installing a new fascia on our new rafters.

This is my plan again, but I can't find any record of how I can up with my pricing structure. Woops!

The rafters are 2x4 24" OC and I have a total footage of 200 linear to be built out.

Here is a step by step of what is going to be done:
1) Tear off existing fascia board.
2) Sister some rafters to hang out at least 10", probably with 2" attached to the exiting so total length 3'.
3) Mark and cut rafters so they are all of equal length.
4) Install a frieze board against the brick.
5) Install a fascia board on the new rafter butts.
6) cap fascia and freize board with aluminum, and install vented soffit panels.
7) Install new gutter.

Any advice? 1 story easy access. If I add everything up I come up with $31 per linear ft.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
That seems a little cheap for the demo, replacement framing, and touch-up of the roofing that's sure to be damaged, and the replacement roofing of your additional overhang. Although I haven't taken off any materials or anything best guess per linear foot of soffit you have around 10 linear feet of 2x4 for framing, plus sheathing (cost is ever rising). With waste you're looking at over 2000' of 2x4's. That's just off the cuff mind you.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
How old is the structure?
Can you look in to see the top plate?

Some of the older homes have the birds mouth cut so deep you can't sister anything. I'd check this out, or you might get stuck installing soffit sub framing to hold up the overhang.

most framers get at least 3 bucks a square foot on install alone. But take into account they also set doors/windows in exterior openings.

Material? I'd just do a take off and add it on plus 15%.

Then I'd add your roofing and soffit/facia rates. POW....you should be there.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were doing the roof anyways. Total resheat of the decking due to mold so that isn't a problem. Nowhere near that many feet of 2x4. Were only going to be sistering the bottom ends. We have a total of 200' of fascia to build out. Rafters are 24" OC. If I take a 3' board, sister two of those feet and leave one foot hang this will give me a total of 450' linear of 2x4. Again sheating wasn't figured into the price because the job is already a total resheat... but good catch!

No way to see the top plate without doing some demo. The building is about 80years old if I have to guess. I don't see many English Tudor new construction ;)

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
IC.. I was figuring that you would need another 2x against the existing wall to frame in the bottom of the box soffit and another out at the face as a sub-fascia. Maybe I'm used to doing commercial too much - where I put in factor of safety of 8 like all the engineers.. haha.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I made my presentation and I think I really impressed the guy. I approached him with some CAD drawings of my two proposed overhang build outs as well as my other detailed literature. He was very impressed with the fact that I bid to clean his rafters instead of replacing them. That's going to save him about $15,000, probably more.

I should know if I won the sale no later than Thursday. Thanks guys for your help!

G

·
What would the price per foot be to install aluminum soffit and facia? Its on a new home the overhang lengths vary but probably average 14 inches. One sectioin of the house is 2 story. Thank You.

G

·
I'm looking for a price for exterior stucco.I believe its called drvit.Can anyone steer my in the right direction. Thank You.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts