Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plumbing job where the homeowner lost water pressure to a kitchen sink(pipes in crawlspace, 20 ft away from heater) and bathroom shower(pipes in interior wall 8 ft. from water heater). We heave replaced the on-demand water heater with a regular 40 gal tank. That returned hot water to the bathroom sink and what seems like great pressure, have warmed up pipes in basement to where they all are warm to the touch. Water pressure has not returned to the kitchen sink or the shower.The kitchen sink produces hot water at a trickle. My question is:Even though the kitchen sink line is farther along in the plumbing, if it is frozen in the crawlspace will it affect the shower water pressure? And why would the water in the kitchen come out hot and faster than a trickle if it was frozen or even clogged?? Any input or guidance is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kind of general that generally completes every job with quality work. If I would have known that this is the response I was going to get I wouldn't have wasted my time. Experience??? I know the things that I need to check through. I was simply asking if anyone had any input for me. Aloha!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure was lost everywhere in the house with the on demand heater
the weather has been cold but we have been heating 8x12 basement with 1500watt elec heater and 40,000btu blown air propane furnace for 24 hours straight, given we weren't running propane the whole time

·
Registered
819 Posts
first thing id do is take the faucet off the stop valves and run the water from the stop valves into a bucket....now your just talking about pipes themselves....if you still have low pressure id turn the water off and remove the stop valves and see if they are plugged.....if you still have no pressure then your pipes are froze or you have a blockage...run new pex lines....if its both h and c then odds are its froze somewhere

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gary H said:
Check for a 1/2" marble in the pipe. I bet that's a good chance of why the water is not flowing
Funny you should say that I had a call once that was kicking my but and there was a small plastic toy in the hot coming out of the tank . Think it was a game called clue. It acted like a check valve.. Took some time to figure that one out..

·
Registered
55 Posts
dvdrobb said:
I have a plumbing job where the homeowner lost water pressure to a kitchen sink(pipes in crawlspace, 20 ft away from heater) and bathroom shower(pipes in interior wall 8 ft. from water heater). We heave replaced the on-demand water heater with a regular 40 gal tank. That returned hot water to the bathroom sink and what seems like great pressure, have warmed up pipes in basement to where they all are warm to the touch. Water pressure has not returned to the kitchen sink or the shower.The kitchen sink produces hot water at a trickle. My question is:Even though the kitchen sink line is farther along in the plumbing, if it is frozen in the crawlspace will it affect the shower water pressure? And why would the water in the kitchen come out hot and faster than a trickle if it was frozen or even clogged?? Any input or guidance is greatly appreciated!
How is the cold pressure?.at the shower head or kitchen faucet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
first thing id do is take the faucet off the stop valves and run the water from the stop valves into a bucket....now your just talking about pipes themselves....if you still have low pressure id turn the water off and remove the stop valves and see if they are plugged.....if you still have no pressure then your pipes are froze or you have a blockage...run new pex lines....if its both h and c then odds are its froze somewhere
So I ran water from the stop valves in the kitchen AGAIN and the pressure was restored in the kitchen, but the bathroom pressure is still gone. I have checked for blockages, and found none. Wondering what if anythingelse to check before i just run new lines

1 - 16 of 16 Posts