Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

"mini" box for lighting?

587 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tugboat Bill 
#1 ·
We have a structure going up that uses the Simpson Steel wall reinforcement. They have a smallish hole we're looking to use to feed wire to outside lighting. There are several of these (6) all on one circuit. Are there any approved circular boxes that are small enough for this situation (2" hole) or are we reduced to pancakes and running the extra wire?

Cutting a larger hole is verboten in this jurisdiction.

#2 ·
Are there any approved circular boxes that are small enough for this situation (2" hole) or are we reduced to pancakes and running the extra wire?
Not exactly clear on what the Simpson Steel Wall Reinforcement is but it seems to be steel that fills a stud bay. I'll take your word for the 2" holes through it that I don't know the purpose of. I take it that the location of these fixtures fall on the bays used for the reinforcement.

To answer your question, no there isn't any kind of box that would only require a 2" hole. Further, a pancake box is either going to have to be recessed in the sheathing/siding or the fixture you use is going to have to accommodate it in its canopy or base because a pancake box isn't for outdoor use.

Something that should be considered in the choice of fixtures is how they mount given the circumstances you have.

-Hal

#3 ·
Yes, the steel fills most or part of a stud bay. Simpson calls them their Strong-Wall shear walls. I suspect the 2" hole are there to facilitate handling during manufacture or shipping but that is just a guess. The holes turn out to be in the exact right location for the exterior lighting in this install.

This structure is going to get stucco so it can be recessed, though I don't know if that'll be enough. Exposure wise they're well protected (3' overhangs). Looks like a discussion with the inspector is in order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.