Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their saw just a power hog or do the batteries just s*ck? Both red and regular m18 Lio last a very short time, making me think if nothing's changed since their 3 battery charger Nicads.

Anyone actually like the battery/saw combination?
The makita I used to have puts the milwaukee to shame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went from the dewalt cordless saw to the milwaukee m18. I definitely noticed better performance compared to the nicad dewalts. Ive had pretty average runtime from the milwaukee though. I think i might upgrade to either 28v milwaukee or 36v bosch for cordless saws seems like they have much better runtime

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I have a V28 saw that I'm not impressed with, but I'm pretty sure that it's because of old batteries.

I've never used the M18 saw, but I've heard good things about it.
As far as saws that I have used, the old Dewalt XRP saw sucked, the Makita was Marginal, the Bosch 18v nicad was all right, and the Dewalt 20v rocks.
I'm going to try some new batteries on my 28v, and if that doesn't get it some power, I'm going to get the 20v saw.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm using an M18 with the non red lithium batterys and have had a good experience with it, usually just for ripping down ply and cutting 2x4's and 2x6's for panel mounting boards no problem if the jobs not big enough to warrant running a lead out for my makita. I would buy the M18 again if I was shopping for a cordless saw and wasnt invested with any particular brand and I still couldnt stomach the price for the 36v Hilti.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah I have the non red lithium xc batteries too. I was thinking about adding a few more batteries to my set but maybe i wont now. With them being owned by the same company that owns ryobi im a little skeptical of the quality of product their putting out. However I still like the milwaukee cordless, its so much better than my dewalts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yeah I have the non red lithium xc batteries too. I was thinking about adding a few more batteries to my set but maybe i wont now. With them being owned by the same company that owns ryobi im a little skeptical of the quality of product their putting out. However I still like the milwaukee cordless, its so much better than my dewalts
Theyre brands the company owns - Homelite, Hoover, Ryobi, Ridgid/AEG and Milwaukee etc etc, not nessacarily sharing the same componetry.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using an M18 with the non red lithium batterys and have had a good experience with it, usually just for ripping down ply and cutting 2x4's and 2x6's for panel mounting boards no problem if the jobs not big enough...
And that's all I view a battery saw for too--just quick little cuts or sheetstock. Yesterday I ripped a piece of a 2x thatwas about a 10' run and at the start,the battery was fully charged (green on the charger) and by the end of the run, it was down from four lights to two. A few minutes later, it did go back up to three lights, but that short run dropped 25% of the charge. I have both the red and the xc and see little difference.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
I have the m-18 combo kit and I like the saw. I don't use it often but when cutting with the Circ saw I notice the batteries do go fast. Lasts me all day in the drill. I think the sawsall and circ saw are just power hogs.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
And that's all I view a battery saw for too--just quick little cuts or sheetstock. Yesterday I ripped a piece of a 2x thatwas about a 10' run and at the start,the battery was fully charged (green on the charger) and by the end of the run, it was down from four lights to two. A few minutes later, it did go back up to three lights, but that short run dropped 25% of the charge. I have both the red and the xc and see little difference.
I dunno, ripping down 2 by material with the cordless saw just doesn't seem like its a good idea anyway. Its takes a bunch of grunt to rip down 1 1/2" thick material and if your blade isn't a top notch blade in good condition it makes it that much worse.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno, ripping down 2 by material with the cordless saw just doesn't seem like its a good idea anyway. Its takes a bunch of grunt to rip down 1 1/2" thick material and if your blade isn't a top notch blade in good condition it makes it that much worse.
It was only one, 8' rip. And I stuck in a new, thin carbide blade to see if that was the issue. It wasn't. I don't expect production work from a battery unit, but using 1/2 of an 18v LiO over 8' seems like worn out nicad rate.

Seems like the verdict is in--milwaukee DC saws are serious powersuckers.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i have the older milwaukee 18v batteries and the cordless saw. at first it was pretty good for crosscutting 2x and deck boards and the like, but lately it's been kinda worthless. took it in under warranty and they replaced a couple parts, but it's still not as good as it used to be.
on a related noted, the 5 year warranty that comes with the v18 batteries is a "pro-rated" warranty so i ended up having to pay $60 to replace a couple batteries that were a couple years old. better than buying new, but not as good as advertised.
replaced a makita battery recently, though, and they swapped it out no questions asked even though it was past its warranty.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
i have the older milwaukee 18v batteries and the cordless saw. at first it was pretty good for crosscutting 2x and deck boards and the like, but lately it's been kinda worthless. took it in under warranty and they replaced a couple parts, but it's still not as good as it used to be.
on a related noted, the 5 year warranty that comes with the v18 batteries is a "pro-rated" warranty so i ended up having to pay $60 to replace a couple batteries that were a couple years old. better than buying new, but not as good as advertised.
replaced a makita battery recently, though, and they swapped it out no questions asked even though it was past its warranty.
We have a milwuakee 18v kit. not sure which batteries besides they are lithium. The kit has been terrible. 1 year in the drill died, 2 of the 3 batteries wont charge and the sawzall and circ saw barely work. I was very dissapointed in the kit seeing how we were getting a good 2 years out of a dewalt kit and could stretch it to 3.5 with a couple new batteries.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a milwuakee 18v kit. not sure which batteries besides they are lithium.
The first release are just lithium and the "improved" release are "red lithium". I can't tell the difference between the two--they both s*ck in saws. I picked up a third batt so one is always in the charger and I need to keep in mind their circ saw it little more than a sheetstock and some demo saw.

Their m18 flashlight is pretty good though.....

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I have the lithium red xc drill and impact set.

Not a bad set.. batterys are holding up well 6 months in :laughing:

I think the charger is stupid and awkward...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I must have gotten a good batch. The saw doesn't last as long as the drill or impact but I don't expect it to. If it's going through something real rough then it will drain the batter but that's when I get out my corded.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not in love with my Milwaulkee M18 Red batts either, runtime is not as good as I expected it would be.
what do you expect for 20% more than the makitas? :laughing:

·
Perfectionist
618 Posts
Oh yeah one more thing I dislike about my new Milwaukee cordless tools, my batteries do not slide out from the tools very easy? anyone else have this problem?

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
MF Custom said:
Oh yeah one more thing I dislike about my new Milwaukee cordless tools, my batteries do not slide out from the tools very easy? anyone else have this problem?
Yes i noticed that also. Its a b*tch to get them on the charger.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts