Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two milwaukee impacts .the stupid [rant] chucks give me trouble .generally or to often when i change bits the chuck will not hold my bit . I need to load it up to get it to catch .slam a screw in and it works . I tried a little oil with some results . Is there a way to fix these impacts collet so they snap onto the bits right off .

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Send them in for warranty repair.

If they are older than 5 years, send them in anyway and they should be able to fix them up for less than the cost of a new one.

·
Super Moderator
45,241 Posts
Try using some carb cleaner or electrical cleaner then blow it out real good with air. That might do it.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok - it occurred to me ,i have 3 others -i will send them both milwaukees in .one of those never get around to -but will have to do projects .maybe the repair will be better then new and last awhile .

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I dropped an impact into a footer hole filled with water one day, and like an idiot I pulled the trigger after I fished it out, smoked it.

I took it to the dealer and had him send it in for service and note that I'm an idiot and to just bill me for the repair.

I had it back in about 4 days, no charge to fix it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfotantly i am not unfamiliar with milwaukee warranty . sounds like it worked out well for you .seriously that was an excellent return time . odds of issues go up as you get to do it more . actually i believe they try hard . wish i could drop off at my local supply house and would but pretty sure one was an online purchase ,but which one .

·
Registered
HVAC Technician Commercial/Industrial
25 Posts
I'd try blasting them out real good with something like Brakleen, then lube with dry graphite spray. Any oily lubricant will eventually attract enough crud to gum them up.

·
Super Moderator
45,241 Posts
I too have had just a few days turnaround time from Milwaukee. The service was outstanding.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was a little cranky on my last reply .end of day and hungry . will get at it . thankyou

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well this is a total early morning stressor . they want serial number - it is unreadable ,they want date of purchase . this is not at all a simple fix . $#@%! having a fit . Yes sometimes these warrentees work for me - Sometimes .

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
When I get a new tool, I take a picture of it, with serial number. I also wrote the sn, date of purchase and where purchased, on the instructions book and take a pic of that. Keep all the pics in a file on computer.
Always did that for theft/insurance reasons.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smart move .I think keeping all that info is the way to go .
Had seen a video on line of someone fixing the collet . I am a builder/mechanic .I fix and make things . better for me to repair .took me much less then a half hour to fix both collets .easily come apart . bent the spring and assembled . do not do this on the fly ,the parts are small .need your head together .both work perfectly

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
smart move .I think keeping all that info is the way to go .
Had seen a video on line of someone fixing the collet . I am a builder/mechanic .I fix and make things . better for me to repair .took me much less then a half hour to fix both collets .easily come apart . bent the spring and assembled . do not do this on the fly ,the parts are small .need your head together .both work perfectly
I assume the 12v and the 18v are the same? My 12v collet failed pretty quickly. I've tried to push the spring back in, but it won't go.

Have a link?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i ran across it easy .do a search for milwaukee impact collet repair .should get several . worth looking at pictures so your prepared .pretty simple repair .do not remove the bearing ,keep hole/bearing pointed up and it will be fine . i just tweaked the clip protrusion up to put more pressure on the ball .also i stretched the spring out a bit .
they work so well now .maybe better then new .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts