Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, as of right now I’m kind of frustrated with my foray into Milwaukee tools.
My wife got me the Milwaukee Hammervac as an anniversary present. It worked fine with the exception of the lock for the telescoping portion. The majority of the time it simply doesn’t engage.

So I called CPO Outlets, where she bought it from, and they were great. They sent a new one out that day along with an RMA number for the other one.

I received the replacement today and it has the exact same issue with the lock. You also have to force the dust container back in. Add to that, I turned it on and it sounds like the motor is about to come apart.

So as things stand, I’m a bit underwhelmed and will be sending both of them back.

http://youtu.be/fms3bPmL6L8

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to find something that works well when drilling dozens/hundreds of small holes in drywall. I was hoping the Milwaukee 12v rotary hammer (in drill mode) and the Hammervac would be the answer. It's fairly compact and lightweight but too many other issues.

The Hilti dust vac attaches to a 36v SDS rotary hammer or the corded rotary hammers. Too big and bulky for what I'm doing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Moze said:
I'm trying to find something that works well when drilling dozens/hundreds of small holes in drywall. I was hoping the Milwaukee 12v rotary hammer (in drill mode) and the Hammervac would be the answer. It's fairly compact and lightweight but too many other issues. The Hilti dust vac attaches to a 36v SDS rotary hammer or the corded rotary hammers. Too big and bulky for what I'm doing.
Have you looked into the bosch hammer drill with vac accessory? Metabo also makes one. The caveat is they're both corded though...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm trying to find something that works well when drilling dozens/hundreds of small holes in drywall. I was hoping the Milwaukee 12v rotary hammer (in drill mode) and the Hammervac would be the answer. It's fairly compact and lightweight but too many other issues.

The Hilti dust vac attaches to a 36v SDS rotary hammer or the corded rotary hammers. Too big and bulky for what I'm doing.
You know theres easier ways to find studs... haha.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That sucks, I do it the old fashion way, drill in one hand hose in the other.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
steex said:
Union regulations, you aren't allowed to hold your own hose around here, gotta get an apprentice or a laborer to do it.
That must be a bit awkward asking the union guy to follow you into the Porta-John😘😳

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you looked into the bosch hammer drill with vac accessory? Metabo also makes one. The caveat is they're both corded though...
I think if it's out there, I've seen it. I researched this pretty heavily before deciding on the Milwaukee. I chose the Milwaukee because overall it was the lightest weight and most compact and portable of the self-contained units.

I may give something like the DeWalt DWH050K a try. But that entails bringing in a vacuum along with all of the other tools, so at this point, I'm not sure what I want to do.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You get use to it after the 3rd time or so, the unspoken rule is no eye contact, as then it gets a bit weird.
Holding isn't the weird part it's when you keep asking him to shake it off.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Makita 18V brushless version is a sucking machine.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LXRH011

There are also tons of attachments for various tools depending on brand. For a ton of small holes, depending on size, the drywall cut out tool could be faster and easier. There is an attachment for that apparently. I found it the other day when looking at attachments for the vac. Bottom of page.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/XtractVac/Masonry.aspx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, I like that one except for the price tag is kind of steep (although it would open me up to some other tools in the Makita lineup) and I would imagine it's pretty heavy. I liked the Milwaukee version because it was compact and lightweight.

The Makita is still kicking around in the back of my head though. But then I'd have tow 18v SDS rotary hammers which seems kind of redundant.

There are also tons of attachments for various tools depending on brand. For a ton of small holes, depending on size, the drywall cut out tool could be faster and easier. There is an attachment for that apparently. I found it the other day when looking at attachments for the vac. Bottom of page.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/XtractVac/Masonry.aspx
I worry about the noise with the cutout tool. I think it may be kind of loud in an office environment.

I'd also like to stay cordless and hose-free if at all possible, which keeps bringing me back to the Makita setup. DeWalt has one but it's a 36v.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think around 10 pounds. I drilled a couple hundred holes in concrete block walls with it all in a couple hours time and it wasn't bad at all

1 - 18 of 18 Posts