Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
We've had ours on site for just under 3 months. She is starting to lose power and not set nails every time. I haven't looked it over extensively to figure out what's up yet.

Thankfully the guys haven't dropped it yet when setting trusses, or other high work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,282 Posts
We've had ours on site for just under 3 months. She is starting to lose power and not set nails every time. I haven't looked it over extensively to figure out what's up yet.

Thankfully the guys haven't dropped it yet when setting trusses, or other high work.

The Hitachi's do that after a while as well, it seems the air spring needs to be re-pressurized every so often.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
The Hitachi's do that after a while as well, it seems the air spring needs to be re-pressurized every so often.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah, didn't expect that after a few months use though.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,079 Posts
Yeah, didn't expect that after a few months use though.

I kind of feel like I'm in the same boat. I've been using my 2 for 3-4 months and I have been noticing a decline in performance, especially firing into LVL.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
I kind of feel like I'm in the same boat. I've been using my 2 for 3-4 months and I have been noticing a decline in performance, especially firing into LVL.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Yep, LVL and yellopine give it trouble. Even laminating vertical studs where the lumber can deaden the nail thrust.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Just reviving this thread. Almost ordered the MW 21 deg Fuel -- but first got my hands on one...

Heavy, heavy it is 10.4 lbs the specs say -- I'm thinking without the battery.

My Max USA (Japan) 21 deg says 7.9 lbs.

The DW, Rigid were the same, heavy.

Sure would like to get the MW but the weight, don't know ? Maybe I'll try one for 30 days or so ? I don't like to return of course.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Didn't occur to me but I just looked into them. It's gas and a 7 volt battery now. Does FRH too.
Could do it for me. Thanks for your input

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
21 degree M18 goodness is enroute....👏👏👏
I'll never give up on air tools, but for smaller / quicker jobs...this gun will rule!
Can't use clipped heads for much down here, glad to see a 21 out there. 3 nails / second without a gas cart - outstanding! Probably only get 3 nails before it's got to recharge, but that's still awesome.

10lb though ... jesus, that's as heavy as one of those hitachis with the giant back - idr the model number ... like their most expensive coil nailer.

·
GC/carpenter
44,170 Posts
Can't use clipped heads for much down here, glad to see a 21 out there. 3 nails / second without a gas cart - outstanding! Probably only get 3 nails before it's got to recharge, but that's still awesome.

10lb though ... jesus, that's as heavy as one of those hitachis with the giant back - idr the model number ... like their most expensive coil nailer.
I think they'll shoot a full head offset.

The Paslode 30 degree will anyway.

Mike.
___

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
I think they'll shoot a full head offset.

The Paslode 30 degree will anyway.

Mike.
___
I don't think offsets are allowed for roof decking down here. I got mine up north (air) and got 21 degree because idk - maybe fiber cement siding also doesn't like offset heads? Some nonsense about hurricanes or something is why on the decking I think. They go kind of crazy overboard with roofing even with the wind factors. Double nail the decking (I get that), 2" metal tabs spaced pretty close, have to tar the shingles down to the drip edge - and its got to have drip edge on eaves and rakes... pretty wild. 3 inspections to do a roof. Bare decking, underlayment, and final. Mr Inspectorman doesn't care if you short the rolls where the shingles back down over it though so it's fine if they leak from day 1 - as long as those boxes on their forms are checked :D

Since I got a 21 degree, I just don't really think too much about "can I use these other ones", the "run whatcha brung" factor. I personally like the wire collated ones best except for getting stabbed by the little bits sticking out, and the weight of a coil gun.

·
GC/carpenter
44,170 Posts
I don't think offsets are allowed for roof decking down here. I got mine up north (air) and got 21 degree because idk - maybe fiber cement siding also doesn't like offset heads? Some nonsense about hurricanes or something is why on the decking I think. They go kind of crazy overboard with roofing even with the wind factors. Double nail the decking (I get that), 2" metal tabs spaced pretty close, have to tar the shingles down to the drip edge - and its got to have drip edge on eaves and rakes... pretty wild. 3 inspections to do a roof. Bare decking, underlayment, and final. Mr Inspectorman doesn't care if you short the rolls where the shingles back down over it though so it's fine if they leak from day 1 - as long as those boxes on their forms are checked :D

Since I got a 21 degree, I just don't really think too much about "can I use these other ones", the "run whatcha brung" factor. I personally like the wire collated ones best except for getting stabbed by the little bits sticking out, and the weight of a coil gun.
Good point on the siding. I'll never use the Paslode for anything finish. It's just not that dialed in.

Mike.
___

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
I'm not sure those battery ones are up to the task either. Not with fiber cement anyway. At 10lb I won't find out either!
We have used the Dewalt a few times on fiber cement. You do have to dial it in a bit though. This is one case where it's lack of power actually lets it perform pretty well.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
We have used the Dewalt a few times on fiber cement. You do have to dial it in a bit though. This is one case where it's lack of power actually lets it perform pretty well.
I'd rather set every nail with the swing press than risk overdriving that stuff.

Aside from fire resistance factor I like the smartside lap siding better. I dropped a few scraps into a bucket of water for 3 days just to see what it'd do. No swelling at all. The stuff is all but impervious to water, and SO much easier to handle. No cancer dust, no special blades, doesn't crumble or bust off corners, much lighter, doesn't snap under its own weight, more impact resistant, and it's not so picky about overdriven fasteners. It will burn though!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like it better than the dewalt, the dewalt was more ergonomic but the hanger is terrible and it seems softer. The Milwaukee is pretty solid.

Super heavy but you don’t run a battery gun all day, that’s what pneumatic are for, I just use it for convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,661 Posts
Did run into a problem with the gun today while framing... I think it was the paslode galvanized nails... the strips are 3 nails longer than the non galvanized... so when your gun locks to reload... the next strip won't fit an lock in. So I guess your options are to either play tidly winks and cut 3 nails off every strip or get hosed into buying the ext magazine.
It's kind of a stupid design on their stock mag since like 90% of jobsites anywhere... have paslode nails 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

41 - 60 of 67 Posts