Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was in HD today and as i was browsing the tools, as i always do, i say what must be a mistake...

12" compound sliding miter saw reg. $699.99 yellow tag to $299.99:eek::eek::eek:!!!!

can this be right? i better sneek to the register before someone catches on!

the guy working the tool area said it's right and they have been selling like crazy today and they only had 2 left.

i should have bought 2!!!

not sure if this is going on everywhere, but it might be worth it if your in the market to call your local HD

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
You are correct. I had a fellow contractor call me up a few hours ago with the same info. He bought one from one store and was heading to another to pick up a second.

I'm in the SW burbs of Chicago.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I really don't think that's the case. I talked a store manager a few days ago and he said their margins on power tools is less than 10% (which is why you cannot get a bid room discount on tools).

My guess is Milwaukee is subsidizing them somehow.

Or it's just a right off....

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
I got one of this too. Figured it was time to upgrade oon of my older slide saws. I also bought the Ridgid table saw with the granite top for $299. My old Craftsman shop table saw was due for an upfrade after 20 years. Now if only work would pick up to pay for these.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My local HD had a close out on generators yesterday. They were selling a Husky 5000 watt and some other 5800 watt electric start for $250 each. They were normally $550 and $800. They are junk generators but for that price they are worth it as a backup.

·
Bird Killer
189 Posts
I just left our HD, picked up a new slider too:D Their last one.

I've been happy with my Ridgid slider, but it's starting to show it's age. Couldn't pass up $300! I'd been really liking the Milwaukee one already.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
it upsets me a bit that there is that much mark up on these tools.

i'm sure their getting atleast 10% while still selling for $300

Just to give you an idea... My wife works for Black and Decker. They own Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Price Pfister, Kwikset, Baldwin, and a some other companies. On the Price Pfister and Kwikset stuff, I know offhand that whatever the price in the store is, she can buy it at work for 75% off. $100 faucet is only $25. The other stuff I don't know offhand what the discount percentage is.

·
Bosch Power
53 Posts
If you guys need new blades for those big red saws My Lowes is clearing out Freud Avanti Ice blades. Ten bucks for a 12 in 96 tooth finish blade or 9 bucks for an 80 tooth 10 inch. So you might wanna check youre local BLU BOX

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to give you an idea... My wife works for Black and Decker. They own Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Price Pfister, Kwikset, Baldwin, and a some other companies. On the Price Pfister and Kwikset stuff, I know offhand that whatever the price in the store is, she can buy it at work for 75% off. $100 faucet is only $25. The other stuff I don't know offhand what the discount percentage is.
i heard stanly just bought black and decker...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked one of these up too. :thumbup:

I called all 10 Home Depots in my area and finally found one that had 2 in stock. I get there and, of course, they are sold out. Ughh. The floor model was in mint condition though and for only $239 it is now mine. I felt like I was robbing them as I walked out the door with it.

I'm really happy I didn't pull the trigger in December when it was $549 with the free stand.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Milwaukee is probably about to release a new model,! same thing happened with the makita saw

they reduced the ls1013 too 299 every one jumped then released the better ls1016 version, and every one who bought the older one was left cursing that they didnt wait!

there must be a reason that the saw was a terrible seller to begin with!!
it got decent reviews but they never moved off the shelves maybe its the weight or maybe now that the makitas 10" saw has 12" capacity??

im holding my ground and sticking with my new makita theres really no reason to have a sliding 12" saw when a 10" does the same job and is almost 20lbs lighter:laughing:!! i keep a non sliding 12" for tall crowns and base and that hardly gets used!!

·
Bird Killer
189 Posts
Weight is a non issue for me. It never comes off the old style Ridgid stand.

And new doesn't always mean improved. I don't know anyone that likes the new Bosch jigsaw as much as the old ones. New Porter Cable or old? How about some of the new DeWalt cordless stuff?

I like the saw, had been wanting one for a while, but didn't NEED a new slider. $300, yeah, I'll take one.

·
Feedin the geese
336 Posts
I've had the big red slider for a couple of months now and really like it. The stock blade is horrible though. @ $299 you can't go wrong.

My main gripes are the weight, the horizontal handle (I prefer vertical), and the right fence doesn't slide.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts