Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Along the same lines how do you handle subs on final payments? Do you wait until the final inspection is complete, or do you pay them when they complete their portion of the project? I have been tossing this around for awhile.

Why should a sub have to wait for final inspection?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
The glossy home builders around here tend to make subs wait until closing.

No, I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Along the same lines how do you handle subs on final payments? Do you wait until the final inspection is complete, or do you pay them when they complete their portion of the project? I have been tossing this around for awhile.
Pay them when you are satisfied they have completed their portion on the job. It is your discretion to make that call if the sub has completed their job to code and to you/clients expectation. Holding money will make it hard to see them again or provide sub-par work.

Set your standard from the start and you should never have a problem. We will backcharge any sub-trade for not cleaning up after themselves. Want to see an electrician sweep up.....

·
GC/carpenter
40,948 Posts
I was 18 when I became a laborer for a very large Commercial outfit. When my boss said dig here, my only question was "how wide and how deep". I literally dug until my hands were bleeding and that's the truth. My father instilled that ethic in me at a very young age. I will say my back has always been a problem. Not because of the hard work but because as a youngster I didn't use my head when working.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Just saying...
Still a choice to be a *****. No matter your circumstances

The majority of people I meet under the age of 30 or wusses. Does not bode well for construction. LOL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Calidecks
81 - 90 of 90 Posts