Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Milled Head vs. Smooth Head

74K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  curtis fulton 
#1 ·
Like to hear everyone ring in on milled or smooth hammer heads. What do you use and why you like it.

#2 ·
Are we stuck with a one-size-fits-all
hammer?
Then smooth.
I'd be forced to shoot a guy
hanging C grade cedar lap
with a 32oz waffle head.
A like fate would be justified were
the same hammer used on a
four piece crown molding job.

#10 · (Edited)
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind the question... dif. faced hammers are used for dif. applications. That's like asking which you like better, pliers or tin snips.
As mentioned above, smooth face are good for finish applications (siding, interior molding), waffle face are a better choice for rough framing applications.

Mac

Edit to add: Framers are more likely to find themselves in a position where it's more difficult to swing straight at the nail (hanging over a rafter tail, in the middle of trusses, hanging off a ladder 20' up) - any help from the hammer head is great...

#12 ·
I've always preferred smooth face- I've never really seen any advantage to waffle face hammers, only downsides.
That being said, my framing hammer was a waffle face because when I needed a new hammer, I couldn't find a decent framer in smooth face. Was refers to the fact that there isn't much waffle print left.
My finish hammer is actually an old hart smooth face framer with a really short California framer handle on it.

#19 ·
In my early 20's, I bought the heaviest waffle head estwing made. New to the trade with a lot to prove (so I thought) I didn't think I'd make it through that first 3 months of framing. My thumb joint was constantly hamburger. Bout the time it would just about heal up, I'd smack that sumbitch again. But I was a tough pup, I never let em see me cry......I'd slink off to the porta pot to do that.:laughing:

#24 ·
I use one hammer for everything. If the head is slipping a lot, I rough it up with sandpaper. Since I set hardened pins, and break rocks with my hammer at times, I rarely have to roughen it. Nail set and/or hitting the nail flush on with the hammer, keeps me from leaving camel tracks.

Anyone ever coat a hot shot's hammer with wax? I've thought about it. Tried it once on my own, Makes hitting a nail challenging.

Waffle head... hurts enough when I blast a finger, don't think the added waffle affect would make it hurt less.

#28 · (Edited)
I prefer to use "Waffle" head hammers for framing. But they are tough to find anymore.

You can get the "Milled" head hammers everywhere, no problem, but not that many companies offer the true "Waffle" head.

"Milled" heads are dangerous because the tempered tips of the milling can snap off when striking hard objects (and we all use our hammers for wrecking tools) This happened to a friend, and he wound up with a piece of the hammer head steel embedded in his arm... it nicked an artery. It could just as easily have been in his eye.

Below is a comparison of some hammer heads. (The Milled head is often called a serrated head too.)

I couldn't find a true "Waffle" Head, except for the small picture of the cane handle.... so I drew one. (top drawing)
The picture labeled "WAFFLE" from HammerSource is what passes for a "Waffle" head today... but it is not a true waffle head. I guess it's cheaper to manufacture it with the series of holes in it.

There is also a head called a "Textured" head that looks like someone "pinged" all over the surface of the head with hardened nail points... but the forum picture limit wouldn't let me upload it here. (See it in the next post.)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.