Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Like to hear everyone ring in on milled or smooth hammer heads. What do you use and why you like it.
Are we stuck with a one-size-fits-all
hammer?
Then smooth.
I'd be forced to shoot a guy
hanging C grade cedar lap
with a 32oz waffle head.
A like fate would be justified were
the same hammer used on a
four piece crown molding job.

·
Pro
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
let me play dumb and ask why the waffle/milled for framing. I have used them and cannot see a large difference, except for the crummy looking pattern it leaves on the wood.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind the question... dif. faced hammers are used for dif. applications. That's like asking which you like better, pliers or tin snips.
As mentioned above, smooth face are good for finish applications (siding, interior molding), waffle face are a better choice for rough framing applications.

Mac

Edit to add: Framers are more likely to find themselves in a position where it's more difficult to swing straight at the nail (hanging over a rafter tail, in the middle of trusses, hanging off a ladder 20' up) - any help from the hammer head is great...

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I've always preferred smooth face- I've never really seen any advantage to waffle face hammers, only downsides.
That being said, my framing hammer was a waffle face because when I needed a new hammer, I couldn't find a decent framer in smooth face. Was refers to the fact that there isn't much waffle print left.
My finish hammer is actually an old hart smooth face framer with a really short California framer handle on it.

·
Roofing Sage
3,405 Posts
Like to hear everyone ring in on milled or smooth hammer heads. What do you use and why you like it.
Milled head (always when possible).
Best nail grip.

Smooth for finish work.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Dad taught me how to grind a hammer face for finish work, use it too. Not a lot of dimples in my work.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Ive never used the waffle hammer, I never had any problems running nails in even hanging off a ladder.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
6,015 Posts
In my early 20's, I bought the heaviest waffle head estwing made. New to the trade with a lot to prove (so I thought) I didn't think I'd make it through that first 3 months of framing. My thumb joint was constantly hamburger. Bout the time it would just about heal up, I'd smack that sumbitch again. But I was a tough pup, I never let em see me cry......I'd slink off to the porta pot to do that.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.