Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you guy's keep a mileage log and if so what is your system?
Drives me nuts:censored:
Oh yea, big brother wants to see my 08 :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I have a worksheet I carry with me every day. I log all miles and at the end of the day, I enter them into a spreadsheet that I designed a few years ago.

It only takes about a minute every day to do this, but I put in all fuel purchases, etc and I can also track my MPG.

It's a habit now.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,676 Posts
I have a bound book in the van I fill out every day.

It's not for just mileage, but a daily log book.

Two of these per side, printed both sides. Permanently bound so it can be submitted in court if need be.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,772 Posts
I have a booklet that I write my mileage and what I did for that day including where I went if it wasn't just to the shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a worksheet I carry with me every day. I log all miles and at the end of the day, I enter them into a spreadsheet that I designed a few years ago.

It only takes about a minute every day to do this, but I put in all fuel purchases, etc and I can also track my MPG.

It's a habit now.
Do you just put in the miles you traveled or specific info like addresses, custumer, material houses?
Thanks, Ed

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Do you just put in the miles you traveled or specific info like addresses, custumer, material houses?
Thanks, Ed
I used to track every stop, but that got to be a little much. Now I have a starting and ending mileage for the day, and I have a small section to document personal mileage. Since it's a work truck, the personal miles rarely apply.

It's a pretty simple spreadsheet. If you are a math geek like me (who loves excel) it's an easy thing to start up.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,772 Posts
My personal mileage are just gaps in the business mileage. My truck is both my personal vehicle and work. Primarily work, probably more than 90%.

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
I keep a log that states the main appointments for the day and any Personal Trips I take

I simply input the date & where the Personal Trip was to in a spreadsheet that already has the Round Trip mileage for it calculated

Total miles for year, minus personal trip, minus a 10% buffer (in case I forgot to write something down) & I have my business miles for the year. If your main office / shop is not your house or on your property you also have to deduct those miles for driving there & back

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,934 Posts
Thanks, Ed
Federal guidelines are pretty clear on this. As long as you document where you went, and the mileage, you're good to go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I try to keep everything simple. I use a small pocket calendar or binder. I log starting and ending mileage daily and write where I went. It's something I do while waiting for the light to change or when I stop at a supplier, client or shop. I'll never have to worry about an audit. My understanding is that with a log you get your vehicle deductions. Without it you might not.

·
Gumby
112 Posts
Visual example

I use "Sampling". This method is spelled out here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf Go to search and type in sampling. Sampling can be used for many other things too.

I write down my 1st week of every month trips. I use the furthest address but sometimes I will put more than one stop on there. Do as much as you need to justify the miles. See picture. At the end of the day I put it on this Excel sheet. The formulas add it up + fuel etc. Once you get in the habit it is easy. The percent column is supposed to be 100% but....
Excel is your friend. This sheet links to my schedule C, Self employment, master job sheet etc. Its my one stop shopping money tracker

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts